what do you like/dislike in an equip. salesman?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bomag, Jul 11, 2013.

1. bomag

bomag LawnSite Member

New to the forum but lurking for years. Im just looking for some real input from you guys about this question. any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    :usflag:

2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't like that they don't automatically give me a discount like the owner does.

;)

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

1. Integrity is huge by far biggest trait I need in a salesman.

2. Follow through, do what you say you will

3. Know your product line. You truly have to have an interest in heavy equipment to be good at it.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Yea don't hand me a pamphlet. I already know that much, that's why I'm here duh. Also call me when you say you will

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I know what I want, But I love listening to a salesmans opinions on what I should buy instead of just telling me I shouldn't buy the bush hog I want..

6. 711SnoPro

711SnoPro LawnSite Member

I should not know more about the equipment I'm after than the sales guy. This goes for anything: pickups and skid steers to snowmobiles and motorcycles.

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Like: Knowledge
    Do what they say they will do
    The ability too listen'

Dislike: Arrogance
    Biased
    Talk too much

8. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Exactly.

When we were looking at a Cat CTL our Cat rep would not stop bashing the other machines we were looking at.... instead of showing me/explaining why the 289 was better and IMO the only thing the Cat had going for it was the cab, otherwise it was not suited for our type of work at all.

Also friendly, the guy we have bought our last 7 pieces of equipment from will do just about anything for us with just a phone call.

Don't like being fed some stupid line either.

Being friendly and not fake friendly helps too, knows more and remembers things besides what machines I have bought from him.

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

No sales person drives a Jeep as awesome as mine.
    They all drive Ferds and Chebbies.

10. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I hate blowing smoke and bashing other product. I had a guy tell me today a factory rep told him their spindle bearings last 5000 hours...lol. obviously all brands out have something to offer or they wouldnt be in business and selling things. I show them the positives of mine and teach them to buy a dealer instead of the product as much. If i was still in the biz the way i would shop would be to point at like 5 parts i see i might need tomorrow and tell them i want to buy for back up. You would be surprised at how many dealers will come back empty handed and say oh we will order that for you and have it by next week. "Thank you sir looks like i will go to next dealer!"....lol.
    How about a salesperson that personally gives you a cell phone number, then handles all your parts, warranty claims, issues, for the life of that piece of equipment. A salesman you can swing by his house on weekend to grab a part you need, or grab one of many demoes they have when ur mower goes down, if they didnt have part grab aa wrench and rob off a new mower, etc. Welcome to my world, best salesman were people in the biz that were burned by their dealers, i am a prime example. Is it crazy for a shop to get $100 tips several times during the week, even the mechanics get tips like that? We turned from selling equipment out of the house 6 years ago to being one of the largest volume mower dealers in the industry by simply using that philosophy. I am the owner/salesman/parts department/warranty department, and it is paying out big time for us and customers. Some guys get pissy cause im overly busy, but most understand...lol

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013