1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you like to do in the winter?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EquityGreen, Nov 5, 2012.

1. jay albers

jay albers LawnSite Member

how about a xmas tree lot. you maybe able to come up with somthing to sell at an indoor fleemarket. Or an ebay business. Temp job maybe.etc.

Odd jobs, dump runs, pray for snow, and hit the gun range to keep sharp.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. bobbo57

bobbo57 LawnSite Member

keep applying preemergence herbicides.
  4. nik

nik LawnSite Member

Lots of guys here do fall cleanup on yards. They also hang Christmas lights and set up decorations for customers. Then take them down. Mostly they rack up the snow plow and clear lots.
  5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Rest, work on hotrods, rest, work on hotrods, rest, work on lawnmowers.
  6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Battlefield 3
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Equipment maintenance, clean-up, change plugs, oil, filters, air filters, sharpen or replace blades. Grind rust and paint everything possible. Lubricate everything possible. Change diaphragms in pumps, o-rings in guns. New gears in spreaders. Sometimes re-calibrate spreaders and sprayers for better accuracy. Make sure everything is working perfectly. Go to turf conference. Shop for next year's product allowing several dealers to show me their programs, discounts and payment plans.

Retired now, but I normally made up a new marketing plan. Find green grass photos and prepare mailers, flyers and estimate folders for next year. Try to take advantage of any year-end, or early-bird sales, (equipment, uniforms, fert, herbicide, printed invoices, envelopes). Learn and improve software.
    Finally, I always wrote my newsletters in advance. I had these printed in January and passed them out at each round. I included information on watering, mowing correctly, earth-friendly garden care, grubs and pests to watch out for, and optional (upsell) treatments they might want. Always mention your customer referral plan and the rewards of same.

I never had a website--but winter is a good time to build or improve a site.

Its also a good time to drive down major streets in your favorite area and and compose a mailing list of potential customer homes. Use it two to three times per year--year after year. Prepare and address letters and stuff the envelopes in advance in January.
  8. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

That's what I do - for myself and a few select customers.

We also paint houses in the off-season.
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I take care of my 6 month old and 3 yr old in the winter.
    That job is tougher than any lawn related business I do in the warm months....