What do You Look For When Buying a Machine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phil Egnatz, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Phil Egnatz

Phil Egnatz LawnSite Member

I Am Interesed In what to look for in buying a new mower

2. 1.Operator comfort
    2. Durability & Performance & fits intended use
    3. Parts/service availability
    4. resale value

3. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure it says " Dixie Chopper"

4. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

I'd look first at the dealer...is he someone that is going to help you out when you're in a bind or will you just fall by the wayside? I'd also look at the support staff/facilities that are on hand. If you have a dealer that is supporting alot of people in the field, yet has very limited resources in terms of staff/mechanics, you're probably going to be in line when something breaks down. Lastly, I'd look at the machine specifically. What do you want it to do for you, other than mow grass:p Are you in need of something you ride on or something you sit down on? What is your budget? What will you be mowing with this machine in terms of size of land and terrain/trimming? Will you be happy with this machine in a year when you get more accounts? Is it designed for what you're going to be mowing...ie., a dixie flatlander for mowing tons of hills...:(

These are all things to consider. Bottom line is, you want the best machine for your money and a dealer to back you up when you get in a bind.

5. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my top ten list. I hope this helps

1. Dealer location
    2. Dealer service rep
    3. Dealer parts avalib
    4. Manufact support
    5. Reputation of manufacturer by other LCO's
    6. quality of cut
    7. Warranty
    8. Quality of manufact of machine.
    9. Comfort when operating.
    10. Price

Scot

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good answer, Scot...

...I would have to say that Dealer Support & Service are the most important aspects to consider.

Initial Price? Nah...who cares how much you can get it for cause if it goes down and you lose a ton of money waiting for it to be repaired, where does that leave you?

7. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

thanks rodfather.

Scot

8. I am not the only one who doesn't think of price to much!!!!

I have seen to many horror strories on here from guys trying to save $100!!!!!!!!!! which is very sad.

9. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO, I'd consider quality of cut and reliability a tie for first place.

10. WashMoBrink

WashMoBrink LawnSite Member

Just bought a Toro Lazer. Could have saved $101 by driving 25 miles to another dealer, but it would have cost me 10X that in the long run.