What do you look for when purchacing a mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Power

Wheel base (width )

Dealer support (more than one dealer selling the same machine also)

Part availability

Depth of mower deck

Discharge of clippings

Ease of controls

Extra fetures

This is pretty much the order I use.
  2. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

I think you pretty well summed it up L.G.F ,Other than that I look at metal thickness and the welds ,which most are all the same .among the quality machines that is and don't forget Color ! there is something about Exmark red that turns me on!:p
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I think you left something off and it's probably the most important of all and it's something that Lawnsite is good for.

The experiences that others have had with the same machine.
  4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Plain and simple...there just aren't any other machines that get my attention!!!
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Reputation of the quality and durability of the product. Manufacturer supports is a big plus also.
  6. cutter3

cutter3 LawnSite Member

power and top quality cut parts availability
  7. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

what lgf said is what i look for, but i also look at how popular the brand or certain mower is in my area. If it is popular, it mostly means it is a trusted mower and well liked. When i only see a few trailers with one or two brands of mowers then i stay away from them. All toro and exmark for me from now on.
  8. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

parts availability, and dealer support are most important to us. both of which have always been good to us. We have been using bobcat mowers for 15 years now. next 2 issus would be decj thickness, and power. after that , price.

From what I see, most of you guys really like the exmark brand. Is it because of price? Most folks around here who buy them grow to despise them, and eventually switch brands. I am not trying to rag on exmark, just interested in why everyone here likes them so much. I would say most popular brands around here are bobcat, and scag. but, thats just what ive noticed, and isnt based on any actual sales statistic.
  9. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

Have had Scag, Choppers, and Grasshoppers before I first bought my first Ex-Mark 4 years ago. Would NEVER go back. We now have all Exmark equipment, sold all the others, or traded them in for the new Lazers. Just my opinion, but that has been what my experience has been.

10. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

LGF I would think guys with crew(s) would have easy learning curve to be able to use would be close to the top. Unless your employee turnover is very low.