what do you miss in trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mcwlandscaping, Jul 13, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Trucks seem to be getting less and less durable as time goes on as a lot of people are looking for a nice car like luxury ride in a truck. I know that some of us wish that trucks were built like they used to be. What i am asking is, what specifically do you miss in trucks. Just like things in particular you had in an older truck that isn't in the newer one besides the whole durability thing. Yes, the new trucks can still last a good long time if taken care of, but they can't take the abuse the older ones did IMO. So what do you think?

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

buy a toyota tundra if you like a well built truck. i bought the striped down long bed -there is nothing carlike or whimpy about it. its all truck

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

truck-
    rubber floor, no headliner, roll down windows(stuck 1/2 the time), vinyl seats(with a few rips), a big honking stick coming out of the tranny hump, Noisy, Am FM radio that only gets static. But that el-camino could get me off the beaten path...but the stick did get "in the way" if you follow my meaning....

I'd proably give up both cars I have now for one old Dodge Power wagon....FWIW

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the newer trucks better than the old ones...newer the better. I think the build quality has not decreased in the Fords or GMC's. The 3/4 and 1 tons are built better than the 1/2 tons but that is expected.

5. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Not a thing.

6. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

this, if it had the big chrome GMC grill and different or no rearviews, im still on the fence about the flames.

oldschooltruck.jpg

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

This may seem wierd, but I miss the wing windows! Since A/C is standard now the wing window is gone... Even though my '88 ford F-250 had a/c (though it was broke) it still had the wing windows. Those can substitue for having a/c pretty darn well! Driving in a truck with no a/c and just the side winders down is one miserable experience! Give me a wing at least!

I think todays trucks are getting better and better, yes there is too many gadgets, electronics, and plushness to the interior, but hey, if you are buying a truck solely for a work truck then get a stripped down truck! My Dodge has vinal everything inside, cleaning it out is a breeze! I did get fancy seatcovers for the vinal seats though, HATE sizziling hot vinal in the summer sun on my buns!

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't miss too much about the old stuff.

Maybe some thicker/stronger sheet metal.

9. notoriousDUG

notoriousDUG LawnSite Member

Solid front axles in all but HD trucks, this is why you can;t plow qith anything short of a one ton.

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I still have a old 1979. The A/C is 3/55 or 3/70 but the gas mileage went down hill. The 4 speed.

The new, well 1996 new, extended cab, A/C, automatic. The 79 is my favorite still. The 79 even got 15MPG on a trip to deliver a grave stone this may, gotta love that.