1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you need to make?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tthomass, Jun 4, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How to really figure what you need to make on a job besides well here's your cost + some profit and go with it. Some jobs you can make $1000 in a couple days work but that doesn't always happen..........generally I don't get off my butt if I'm not gonna get $200 but also using that idea method you can really lowball yourself out of a lot of money on some jobs.

I can figure how to price a job and be profitable but just looking for some sort of process some may be using as a guidline. $200 a day will cover my expenses........truck payment, rent etc
  2. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm not sure anyone can really answer your question...

Take a look through this post and see if it will help you some. There's alot more to business then just knowing how to price a job and be profitable... Once you truely know your cost of doing business then you will "really know what you need to make"

Hope this helps
    All Clear
  3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i just remembered some equations from college and wondered if anyone actually used such stuff vs here's my cost and expense and what i need to cover that.........job volume also is a big factor

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

When we ran the crews for maintenance, we tried to get between 800 and 1000 per day per truck for 2 guys. This is what was needed to cover the costs.
    Not sure what you books have in them but yes you NEED to have a formula to plug all your #'s into
  5. mch181

mch181 LawnSite Member

i didnt think they made that much they do pretty well
    but can people be succsessful with a one man biz? like if they had bigenoughequipment (bigger decks to cover over many smaller decks of other people)?
    and i was wonderin, what does a truck all cost? what about a super alwn truck?
    i know there not too cheap tho

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Bottom end you could get into it with between 7-10K to start. (truck trailer equipment), but to really run with top stuff, little breakdowns, look at 35-45K as a safe bet