What do you need to make?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tthomass, Jun 4, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How to really figure what you need to make on a job besides well here's your cost + some profit and go with it. Some jobs you can make $1000 in a couple days work but that doesn't always happen..........generally I don't get off my butt if I'm not gonna get $200 but also using that idea method you can really lowball yourself out of a lot of money on some jobs.

I can figure how to price a job and be profitable but just looking for some sort of process some may be using as a guidline. $200 a day will cover my expenses........truck payment, rent etc

2. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm not sure anyone can really answer your question...

Take a look through this post and see if it will help you some. There's alot more to business then just knowing how to price a job and be profitable... Once you truely know your cost of doing business then you will "really know what you need to make"

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=135531&page=2

Hope this helps
    All Clear

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i just remembered some equations from college and wondered if anyone actually used such stuff vs here's my cost and expense and what i need to cover that.........job volume also is a big factor

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

When we ran the crews for maintenance, we tried to get between 800 and 1000 per day per truck for 2 guys. This is what was needed to cover the costs.
    Not sure what you books have in them but yes you NEED to have a formula to plug all your #'s into

5. mch181

mch181 LawnSite Member

i didnt think they made that much they do pretty well
    but can people be succsessful with a one man biz? like if they had bigenoughequipment (bigger decks to cover over many smaller decks of other people)?
    and i was wonderin, what does a truck all cost? what about a super alwn truck?
    i know there not too cheap tho

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Bottom end you could get into it with between 7-10K to start. (truck trailer equipment), but to really run with top stuff, little breakdowns, look at 35-45K as a safe bet