what do you pay for a lawn care business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by newbie in st louie, Jan 21, 2004.

1. newbie in st louie

newbie in st louie LawnSite Member

Hi, I am new. I am looking to buy a business that is small has 30 accounts. They are small yards that dollar average is around 20 dollars. Also they are cut every other week. 15 one week 15 the next. Also seller has 2 walk behind push mowers one blower one trimmer. He is saying 8,000 for accounts and 2,000 for equipment. I think more realistic is 3,000 to 4,000 for all if that. Tell me what you guys think

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

He is asking for an entire years pay for the accounts... he is insane.. very top for the accounts 1500.00 (5 weeks gross) equipment may be worth $2000 if it is good commercial stuff and not home owner mowers ect. If not, buy your own equipment. I started with nothing my first year. I ran an ad in all the local shopping papers for 2 monthes April & May. It was a decent size display ad. I ended up doing about 500 estimates and ended up with 110 weekly cuts. Ad cost me around $1500 to run back then. I am looking at the pricing today and it would be around $2500 now. I am not sure where you want to go and how big, ect. My advice would be to spend your money somewhere else. This person is trying to take you for a ride.

3. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

save the money invest in your own buss. do what ever u can 2 get your own accounts besides what if they drop u do u get your money back ..... something 2 think about

4. SHOW ME STATE RIDER

SHOW ME STATE RIDER LawnSite Member
    from MO

First of all, I wouldn't buy it due to the fact that they are cut every other week. I made that mistake and had to explain to the customers why to cut every week. Some stayed with and the others found somebody else to clean up their mess after two weeks. Never will I do that again. Will only make that mistake once.

5. Dom't pay more the 20% of yearly gross, equipment extra

Why buy a business that only cuts the lawns every other week?

Get better clientel

6. newbie in st louie

newbie in st louie LawnSite Member

Hey thanks a lot you guys. You make a lot of sense. I am retireing and really looking for some additional income to bring in. By the way another question, is having a contract with customers a good thing.

7. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

$20 per mow every other week? Buy your own equipment and get your own accounts worth having. I wouldn't take an account that was only $20 every other week.I wouldn't take it if it was every week unless I could mow it in about 10 minutes. Going rate around here is $35 minimum to drop the tailgate.

8. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I have some with contracts and some without. Most residentials can be done without. Get a contract with commercial jobs though. It is more trouble to try and collect on a nonpaid residential contract than it is worth. In my opinion, if they ain't happy with me, find somebody else. I'm not going to make them stay with me if they're not satisfied.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

That business is worthless IMO. Do your own thing.

10. gumball1

gumball1 LawnSite Member

hey newbie in St. louie,
    I saw that ad,glad I didn't call.He's smokin that wacky-tabacky. Price for equip not too high,maybe? price for accts-YEAH RIGHT!how many flyers can you print for that $$? Ad in paper?He's a freakin moron.