what do you pay your lead guy????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gmlm, Feb 12, 2013.

1. scott martoccia

scott martoccia LawnSite Member

We pay lawn maint foreman $17.90 + 1.5* OT over 40.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Rick Grantham

Rick Grantham LawnSite Member

Agreed. Seems like its time for your lead man to get a raise.

Rick

3. CLS_Birmingham

CLS_Birmingham LawnSite Member

So what does everyone pay their bottom guys starting out?

4. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

10/hr until I can see what kind of work they're capable of. My current guy makes 11/hr, but I think I'll bump him up to $12 this year. He's dependable, doesn't drink or smoke, and is really good with a line trimmer. Though, I think that's about maxing out pay for a edging/trim man until he learns more about plants and knows how to run a mower.

5. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm surprised he is still around at 450 a week. I sold my company and worked for someone as their lead guy but my take home was about 450. A little bonus here and there. Used my personal truck for work, towed a dump trailer and everything to job sites.

I lasted about 3 months before I realized I was being taken advantage of. Working 60+ hours every week, and sometimes more when I put in a Saturday.

I think if I was taking home 600 to 650 plus I would feel comfortable working 50+ hours every week. 550 if I was given a nice truck and phone.

6. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

It seems like alot of lawn and landscape companies pay salarys. Alot of guys will get screwed after working more than 40 or 50 hrs aweek. If I was the employee id rather know my wage and try to pound the long hour work weeks. I been on both sides and know what its nice to get paid what your worth if it's possible for the owner to pay it.

7. greenturfde

greenturfde LawnSite Member

Seems to me... if you have the proper systems in place you can save quite a bit on labor cost. IMHO

8. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

The only reason salary made sense to me in the past was the pay checks continued throught the winter with incentives for snow removal. If I was only taking home $450 a week during the season, way too low.

9. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

I've been starting at $10 for every one.

How ever I plan on changing that to $8 or $9 for the first month for training and then jumping to $10.

I always seem to attract employees that think because they breath they are entitled.
    No gratitude for a job at all.

I am not asking that they KMA but expecting them to show via actions some gratitude is not out of line, I don't think.