1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What do you pay your spray techs?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by replenish&subdue, Aug 30, 2012.

1. replenish&subdue

replenish&subdue LawnSite Senior Member

I want to be fair to my employee of 13 yrs.. I pay him what I believe is a good wage in that he is not productive. I pay him more for his honesty,loyalty and care of my interests. He is in his early 30's and his best is to spray out about 300 gallons but that usually takes 9 not eight hours (then he gets time 1/2 ot). It is just the way he is.
    I would pay $17 to $22 hour if I could find a productive employee who also is committed to staying around.
    By the way,it is not in him to do simply maintenance. He is a spray & fertilize only.

2. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If you're near Canton, OH, I want to apply for the $22hr position. I'll spray circles around your current guy & do maintenance. Lol!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Pull a couple of accounts out of the route to see if it takes just as long. I did this for 20 years,sometimes it just takes longer on some days do to size of lawns and traffic or someone comes out and takes to him.

4. GreenerSolution

GreenerSolution LawnSite Member
    from PA

just seeing this now. but i spray 200gal (5acres) by 10am with a 6am start time. machine - 300g by 10am

5. DiscoDave

DiscoDave LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

How many sq. ft. per day is he treating?

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

How do you get away with 1/2 pay for OT?

I think a small but for production is good but you have to pay hours plus full OT

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

You say he is slow...but how are his call backs? Less than everyone else's on average? Is he maybe taking more time to BP the lawn and ensure problems are resolved vs others who may just be blasting the lawn and heading on town the road?

8. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Duekster, I think he just left out the "and a" in his post. Time 1/2 OT vs time and a 1/2 OT
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Kindarring

Kindarring LawnSite Member

Our company does a salary for our spray techs. Our spray techs work between 43-45 hours a week. New techs make (just starting) $500.00 and go up from there. My guys that have been with me longer of course make 650-800 a week for maybe a few more hours.

10. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Industry benchmarks can be found at your regional or national landscape association sites.