What do you pay your workers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Pallas, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Just out of curiosity - what are you paying your workers this year? Crew chiefs? Regular Laborers? Experienced laborers?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$12 for inexperienced, $15 - $20 per hour for guys that know what they're doing from the git go.

3. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

When I worked as a labourer I was paid $8/hour for mowing and $10/hour for landscaping work

I've had my own business for 4 years now and I pay a flat rate of $10/hour. Those rates are in Canadian as well so thats only like 7 bucks american!

Keep in mind I'm in Northern Ontario so I can only charge about 15-18 CDN dollars an hour for my work.

the rates get much better closer to the major cities. The toronto area is usually around $20

4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys pay cash, or use a different method?

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Credit Card

6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We pay our guys in chickens.

7. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

we get hooters gift certificates-LOL

i run the lawn maintenace side of our company, and make 12 an hour during lawn season. my guys make anywhere from 6 to 7.50 an hour. during winter, work on commission, and depending on how much it snows, decides how much i make.

all our crew members, lawn, and landscape have around 2-3 years experience. myself, i have been with the company 13 years, and in some form of lawncare for almost all my life. i used to mow fairways during the summer for a small golf course when i was a kid, in exchange for free golf. (back when was a wee little lad-LOL)

8. shawn'slawns

shawn'slawns LawnSite Member

$8.00 to $9.00 bucks cash!

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We pay $8 per hour for guys with zero experience but who will work hard and are teachable.

My crew leaders make from $9 to $11 / hr.

Foreman makes $14.50 and bonuses and is worth every dime.

For you guys who are paying cash, you are being ignorant! Forgive me for being rude. But think about it. You actually LOSE money paying people cash.

The primary loss is in the lack of tax write-offs. Suppose you have 2 guys working for you who each make $2000 per month. If you pay them cash, under the table, than you have to count that $4000 as income YOU earned. Then YOU have to pay the taxes on $4000 that you never even saw!!! If you had paid them correctly (e.g. above-the-table) than you'd have a $4000 tax write off. Over a period of a year, that's $48,000 in tax write offs you are THROWING AWAY!

Let's say you pay just 20% tax. That's $9600 in one year in unnecessary tax liability. In this scenario, you LOSE, out of pocket, $9600 cash, for being ignorant.

If you don't have the money to hire employees the right way and pay their wages, taxes, etc. then you don't deserve to have them.

10. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

1.) People that pay cash don't claim/underclaim income anyway.

2.) By the time you pay FICA, State unemployment insurance, Federal Unemployment, Workers Compensation Insurance and Payroll Bookeeping service, you're still cheaper paying cash.

BUT,
    Most guys who pay cash are loosers and there just aren't sucessful guys who run their business that way.