What do you Pay?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ProImage, Oct 29, 2006.

1. ProImage

ProImage LawnSite Member

I've been at this for a year now and I am thinking about hiring someone to help me next year to be able to add on more accounts. What are you guys paying your employees? I'm in New Jersey so if anyone else is here I would appreciate your response. Thank you.
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would say a good base pay is $8-$9 an hour. How many acounts do you have?
  3. ProImage

ProImage LawnSite Member

Thanks J&R for responding, for all of the views that this post got and no responses I was sure that I would at least get beat-up about it (a bad post). I have 10 accounts now part time and would like to add 10 for the next 7 years. That's when I can retire w/ full benefits and do this full time. I think I'm stretched out now for being solo.
  4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with J&R for a base pay of $8 or $9 an hr. That's what i started my helper at until he got used to using the equipment and the doing the properties. Now i pay him $10 an hr. You have to figure out what your company can afford and what another worker is worth to you.
  5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

How big are your accounts? What kind of equipment are you using? How tight is your route? IMO I would look at other areas before I brought someone on at 10 - 20 accounts. I understand that you are working full-time, so how many are you averaging in a day, or do you do it on the weekend?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

8 to start, 10 when up and running, and than up to 15 as they deserve,
    I have to ask about the 10 accounts. I would believe it to be hard to hire a guy for so few properties, if you hire you better keep him or her busy all week, just my thoughts.