What do you prefer, residential / commercial?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Jan 8, 2005.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of clients do you guys out there prefer and who do you think makes more money?

I personally like the commercial and residential aspect, but for future growth in the business you can only grow with commercial I believe.. You can have 15 commercial buildlings that are approx 4k a month for landscaping, whereas you have to find 100+ residential customers that are on the full service plan for $200 a month approx?

I also like the residential aspect because it changes the sceneary and the customers are more loyal.

Commercial, you have to please 20+ people but you still get paid way more and you can grow more with this..

For me I would like 80% commercial and 20% high end residential. What about you guys?

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

residential is the backbone of every company like it or not. the commercial is good but you can charge more for residential. example here in my area mulch is about $45 a yard installed com, and get $80 - $100 for residential

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I am going for more commercial but only because I want to fill in Monday and Tuesday on my cutting crews. I got a call a few days ago for a bid right now I am sick as hell but no matter the ground has snow so I can not do the bid atm anyway. From what I saw I am going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30k for the account now res is nice but none of my residentials come close to that amount of money the highest I had this year in residential was 9k for one account. So looking at this shopping center I can say I would not mind half a dozen of these places thatÂ’s some nice cash flow.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I no longer do commercial. To many headaches and no loyalty. Most business owners want preferential treatment and don't want to pay for it. For me there is more money and fewer problems in residential only. JMO.

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I prefer residential. It seems that all the big guys are hustling the commercial around here... Residential customers are definitely more loyal!

6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I take is work is work does it matter. But the main reason most LCOs don't like com acounts.is. They require Workers comp and Lib insurance that most don't have

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

My basis is commercial, but I just mow - fert - spray.

I have a landscape company run by a good friend that does all the bush trimming, irrigation, etc.

I can make more commercial, because my average acreage is about 9-12 per account, and that means very few load unloads, and I am in a position to sell a good mowing job, and because most around here have gone thru the "bid low just mow" deal, they realize they get what they pay for.

We feel our bids are very fair, and we give very good service.

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We like the commercial end of it. the residential is getting saturated by the fly-by-night lowballers w/ no insurance. They would'nt stand a chance in the commercial world. We also do alot of municipal work for 3 of the local townships. this usually leads to alot of add-on business.

Chris

9. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

county,state any municipal contracts.

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Actually, I can only speak for myself...but I carry workers comp and liability....I even pay my taxes. Residentials are just easier for the little guy to get because the 800lbs gorillas are out hustling the big comml accts.