What do you pro's pay for labor?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snk47, Mar 16, 2006.

1. snk47

snk47 LawnSite Member

I have about 20 yards and I'm trying to expand a bit. I have a dependable helper available. I was thinking 30% per yard would be sufficient. Would anyone agree with this or have suggestions on what I should pay? Thanks!

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Never let them know your business or the true #'s If you give him 30% He will know all about it. Also you will have a nightmare trying to pay him when it comes to taxes and WC. Just pay by the hour. By you that sounds like it may be 6-8 per. I start at 8. Sometimes I feel that I should start at 2:laugh:

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

When you pay by the job or % of, you will see a number of complaints because they will go faster and try to get done so they can get payed.

4. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i started out working for someone at 14 making $7/hr cash...two years ago when i was done i was making $10/hr cash...i wouldnt give a %...i dont have any employees dont have enough lawns...but when i do i will hire the best...oh and no friends thats just what i think

5. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess that I am lucky the guy that helps me when I need help we agreed on a per property price he is happy and does a great job and I am happy because he dos not waste time he knows that the faster he gets done the faster we go to the next one thatis after qwe have done a walkaround the property to make sure we did not miss anything