what do you pull your aerator with?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by corey4671, Apr 3, 2008.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 40" core aerator that I have used my Honda Rubicon to pull. My dealer made me an offer on an older MTD 18hp Garden tractor today that was out behind his shop. Deck is shot, motor sounds good. Tires are all up and in good shape. Needs new battery. Has a high and low range with six gears in each range. He has offerd to install a new battery and take the deck out from under for $200. What do you guys think?

2. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a craftsman 24hp lawn tractor that I've had since before I started my business to pull my core aerator. It's rough on the frame of the tractor and the hitch plate on the back is bent. If I were you, I would just keep pulling it with the Honda and save my money.

3. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I would go for it. The tractor will turn much sharper. It will also be easier on the lawn while turning. With a low range 18 hp should be fine. Only downside would be it is not as comfortable as the Rubicon.

4. banksl&s

banksl&s LawnSite Member

Don't buy the tractor, sell the rubicon and buy an arctic cat. Just kidding, I would use the rubicon and use the $200 on something else I needed.

5. Envi-Lawn

Envi-Lawn LawnSite Member
    from CT

I use a Polaris 500 All Terrain Pickup. It has a switch that allows for one wheel drive operation. 20% tighter turning circle, and it won't tear the turf while turning. It is fast and comfortable.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I use one of our Toro 325D's

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would personally just use the Rubicon. That has a low range, doesn't it?

8. All-Pro LawnCare

All-Pro LawnCare LawnSite Member
    from NC

I don't know how much your aerator weighs, but my bluebird 48" is pretty heavy with the jugs filled. I use to use a jd 318 and you better forget it if the yard isn't flat. My yamaha has selectable 4wd and works good for the inclines. It also works really good when putting out fert or lime. Fill the spreader and put the remaining bags on the racks. No more trips back to the truck. I only use this set-up for large properties.

9. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering the samething. I might be getting a few aeration jobs and I was going to use my Kawasaki prairie 360, but I might bring my John Deere home from my camp and use that

10. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard of that before. Just looked it up and the "turf mode" seems very handy. How much did it run?

I currently use my Z-turn to two my Bluebird. Has no problems, but I'd rather have something more suitable.