what do you put inside a roller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, May 15, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i just got a roller from invent-tek and it suggests to put sand or metal pellets inside to add weight... haven't got the foggiest idea what metal pellets are... what would you guys fill a roller with?
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good old H2O!!!
  3. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Cool clear water. If your by yourself it's the only way to go. Drain and go. Less messy. Can't see myself loading up a roller full of sand or metal pellets by myself.
  4. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ok i'm not talking about a real big roller... i got one of those that i fill with water and that ends up weighing about 300 lbs.. the roller that i just bought is for my 21" hondas to stripe with... so i can't use water... atleast i don't think i could use water..i don't think it would give me enough weight...
  5. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Then use some lead to weigh your roller. :D

I never use the roller. The sand should be heavier than water, and if you said that your roller is small, then it should not take much sand to fill up the roller.
  6. I purchased one from him last year. I filled mine with sand works great on a 21.Wont work with water though it will leak
  7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i put gravel in my 2"pvc roller, makes a difference, rather then being unweighted