What do you put out first

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by the.hines, Feb 12, 2008.

1. the.hines

the.hines LawnSite Member

What is your first fertilizer application going to be and when???

I am putting out some 10-10-10 this week. We have been having lots of rain and now it is freezing...
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I take it by your questions and the product you are using that you are new and don't know much about lawns?

Isn't Franklin in Northern KY?

Why are you putting an app on this time of year?

And if you are going to put an app on (even in the next month)....why would it be Trip 10?

Your first app should be with a crab preventor.
  3. Mr.GreenJeans89

Mr.GreenJeans89 LawnSite Member

I agre,you are a little early,maybe late feb at the earliest and yes as rcreech said you need to go ahead and get somepreemergence down on this app then another dose of fertilizer,crabgrass control,in aprilish.if you have already put most of your apps down with triple 10,which in your spring apps you need a higher nitrogen put down,you can put the whole dose of preemergence down with ur 2nd app.most people do 2 split apps of pre in spring because for one you are gambling by not having anything down before april cuz weather can be funny and second your second app will cost you more money than you are probly making because pre aint cheap.Talk to your chem dealer bout how you should tackle this and wut u should use.:hammerhead:
  4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

The only thing I'm putting out right now is the dog.
  5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I do okay on mine. For a split app for a total of 6 months of control, my overall cost is $0.50 / k. A small price to pay for what I get from it.