What do you require from a customer before aerating?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by firstchoice1, Jan 10, 2010.

1. firstchoice1

firstchoice1 LawnSite Member

What do you require from a customer before aerating on their property? Anything appreciated.

-Travis

2. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

If they have a sprinkler system its needs marking flags. I carry them with me and we will generally walk around together and mark them if they don't have it done before I get there. I explain if they forgot any it is not my responsibilty if one gets broke. After all my areator gets wear from hitting crap like that too. Also some people have city water plates(metal) and other things that could be hazardous to your machine or their property.

3. M&B LAWN CARE

M&B LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

Make sure if they have invisible fences for their pets to have them mark it also, or you will cut the wire in two and have to replace it

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

i have the customer mark their irrigation so i dont bust a head!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I require that we have an agreement.

6. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have them sign a damage waiver AND, I won't/ don't aerate properties with irrigation systems. I ask about water main shut offs, other obstacles and invisible fencing too.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm only going down about 3 inches max. If they have irrigation I mark it. If I hit or cut anything else then it wasn't buried deep enough to begin with. I did one job this fall and apparently got the cable TV wire. I was aerating along and the next door neighbor comes out and asks me how deep I'm aerating. I told him and he then tells me that his telephone, internet and cable tv just went out all at once. I told him I'm sorry but there's nothing that I can do about that. He just went back in his house at that point. A couple of days later my homeowner came out and said I did hit his neighbor's cable but it wasn't buried nearly deep enough and it was on the wrong side of the property line. No harm, no foul.

8. Tholmes1

Tholmes1 LawnSite Member

Integrity man. could you please post a copy of your aerating waiver? I would greatly appreciate it.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

yeah, we want you to do all the work while the rest get it handed to them. :hammerhead:

10. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

ya aerating shouldn't cause any, again, cause any problems with any thing that is buried. except for sprinkler heads period... if it hits anything but sprinkler heads it's not your fault!!!!