what do you say?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 31, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the man i am tutoring, has been asking alot of questions. here is one he asked yesterday- " let's say, you give them a price of $30 to cut the grass, and they counter offer with like, $25. what do you do? " how would you have answered this?

2. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

let me think.........is 35 ok :D

3. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what he said.

State If you want to bargin ok lets bargin how does 35.00 sound to you. Then they will look at you with a very strange look

4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

since when is it mandatory that lawn care is a negotiable service? we do not lower bids. confident in your initial estimate will get you the clients you want. A customer looking for the lowest price, is always going to be looking for the lowest price. that customer will be gone next season.

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

2 months ago got a phone call from a lady stating that her current lawn guy hasn't been showing up every week. Asked if I'd give her a quote. I gave here a quote of $55 per cut. She turned to me and asked if that was the best I could do. I asked 'can I ask you a question?' She said yes and I asked 'what does the current guy charge you?' She says '$45'. My response, 'For $10 more you get someone that shows up every week'

She actually laughed and said ok,i'll talk to my husband. Needless to say she found someone else. I don't want those types of clients anyway.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

" let's say, you give them a price of $30 to cut the grass, and they counter offer with like, $25. what do you do? " how would you have answered this?
    thanks for your time u have my #

7. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Allow him to go ahead and secure the business. Make it known that this will become unacceptable once he has begun to acquire a customer base. Besides this type of client will be the best to lose when he screws up during his learning period. At this point his opportunity costs are nil. Go ahead and take the client.

Don't worry about setting a bad precident in the neighborhood either. If it comes up just tell the neighbors the truth "I had just started and didn't know how much it cost to do business" and then lie to them "But I made a commitment and still haven't raised their price and I won't raise yours either."

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

This ain't lets make a deal

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i can cut a part of the lawn for 25, but the whole lawn is 30, is there a paticular section you want to just let grow..

10. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

your answer. Sure we can do it for twenty-five, we'll just skip that area around the front door. Beautiful!