1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What do you spray lawns with?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lakegastonla, Sep 11, 2001.

1. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few new customers that need to have their front lawns taken out with roundup and started from scratch. All I have are backpack sprayers, is there a quicker way?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Northern and Farm and Fleet have 12 volt sprayers in 15 and 25 gallon sizes. I'm sure other places like AM Leonards probably do too.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You could also use a hose sprayer. It's just the bottle you put your (properly mixed) concentrate into, and just hook to your hose and go.

4. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

If it's not a large lawn, I would just stick with the backpack, unless you are going to be doing a lot of this work. If you put down 5L per 1K sqft (Yah I am a hybrid Canadian, part Imperial, part Metric!) a 15L backpack will do 3K sqft.
    Timewise there are faster ways, but make sure any investment is worth it.

Alan

5. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I would not spend $1500.00 on a new sprayer just for these jobs (unless you do 50 a year) assuming you don't have one yet. Use the back pack. Just charge accordingly. If, however, you do have a tank sprayer, make sure you really rinse the entire system. Roundup is really destructive to internal pump parts.

6. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I would check my fire with a big sprayer of non-selective! You could really hurt stuff....get my DRIFT???;)

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Add .2 lbs per gallon of 21-0-0 Ammonium sulfate to 1% Round-Up for faster and better Kill. 1/5 Lb 21-0-0 to 2.75 oz of 41% R-up pro per gallon.