1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you spray? Whasts spraying about?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrusk, Sep 27, 2003.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I been on this site for awhile and am starting up mowing and landscaping in the spring. I been hearing some of the members here saying to get your applicators license so you can spray. My question is, what the heck do you spray? It seems like a profitable thing to do because i see the biggest local co here with 2 deadicated international spraying trucks.

Tell me what spraying is all about.

2. Well, where do we begin...

Spraying is all about applying either fertilizer or pesticide to an area for profit. Those of us who spray products do so with the intent of charging the customer for a service and then returning after some time and making another application. With enough repeat business a person can earn a living.

The "biggest local co" there with "2 dedicated" trucks has already learned this and is probably well on their way to being profitable.

Of course you must get a license if you plan on spraying anything but water. Actually I may be wrong (depending on your states regulations) and you may need a license to spray that too.

I sense from your post that you are new to this trade and I speculate you still have a lot to learn. If you are starting up a business "from scratch" then I highly recommend that you look closely at the "elements of business" and "just starting in business" sections of this forum.

I also recommend that you make a realistic business plan, and get insured. And whatever you do...DO NOT SPRAY OR APPLY ANY PESTICIDE WITHOUT A LICENCE TO DO SO. The consequences are very expensive and the risks to yourself, you community and our trade are significant and very real.

Good Luck Matt, I mean it.
  3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for replying. I been reading this site for about 6 months now. I have a good idea of what it takes to succede in this business. I already knew that you needed a special license to spray, but wasn't exactly sure what you were spraying. I am 17 and turn 18 in May. I already have a few lawns lined up for the spring. On my 18th birthday i will have a fully LEGAL business on the books with insurance. I have been working on my business plan and have been talking to many people who have 20+ years in the business. Some of those people have no proablem sending lawns my way to help a new guy out. In school i have a teacher who has been mowing since he was 15 and hes 60 now. He has been giving me alot of advice. He has known me for 4 years now and says he has no doubt that i will be very succesful in this business because of my determiation and self motivation. Heck i worked 65-70hrs a week for the past 3 summers framing houses. I am hard working. I am back in school now i am still doing 30 hour weeks at the local kawasaki dealership. However i can't stand it because i hate working in doors. The onle reason i am there is because i can have steady hours all winter long.