What do you think about adding this to my add?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by QualityLawnCare4u, May 3, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have been running an add now for 6 weeks and want to eliminate the bargain cheapskapes. Thought about adding this to my add:

Are you looking for:
    1) a dependable person, quality lawn service, very dependable, licensed and insured, all commercial equipment
    or
    2) dirt cheap, uninsured, unlicensed, mow, blow and go lawn care:

if the answer is 2 Im not for you.

Would this seem arrogant or not good?
    BTW, I have an appoinment Thursday with an insurance agent about some insurance. I want to be as professional as possible.

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

7 years in business and no insurance?

3. mowboy1

mowboy1 LawnSite Member

The point is good but I think it qualifies as slagging the competition and that's not professional.

For sure mention that you are professional, dependable, fully insured, experienced and do top quality work but I would refrain from indicating that the other ads they read are all lowballers.

When I get the chance to speak with potential customers personally then I may indicate that it is a challenge with lowballers and I have even suggested tactfully that throwing away the lowest bidder is a wise course. I found most appreciate your situation.

My two cents.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

Did you read my post couple weeks ago about what a time I have had trying to get it? I have been REAL careful and have not liked not having it.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

I sorta thought that too. Was trying to find a nice way to eliminate these bargain shoppers. I actually looked at a yard Saturday (a 40 dollar yard) and they already had an estimate of 20 and wanted to see if I could beat it. These are the ones I want to not even waste my time on.

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

From reading your other posts, sounds like anything is worth a try at this point. I've also thought about doing something like that and probably would if I needed more work. Maybe this is what you need to set yourself apart from the competition. I like to think that some people still look for quality and consistency when shopping for a service. Its good to see that even through the tough times you still are trying to be creative about keeping things afloat, rather than falling victim to the "drop your prices till the money runs out" philosophy that so many use.

7. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

So, do you have insurance or not? The proposed ad implies that you do. The statement above implies that you do not. If you do not have it, I would not suggest running an ad that implies that you do.

8. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

As a person who spent 20 years in corporate, never ever, dwell on the negative. Do not speak negatively of your competition, yourself or anything else. It is unprofessional and I believe most people dislike it as well. Just look at the political scene in America.

9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't like it, its too long, people are going to stop reading it and not care. Asking questions on adds don't do it for me. I thought about putting on my flyers "Not happy with your current lawn care orginizer?" then "Or are you just tired of all the hard work to make your lawn beautiful?" then the hit line of "Then its time to call KDC, we'll get your lawn looking beautiful again so you don't have to" or something like that. But After seeing it on a piece of paper it was just too long your interest falls off i think. As said above don't dwell on negative, speak about your company and how your so great and why to go withyou but keep it short and to the point. I have created a website to take the place of all the sales lines, instead under our slogan it says "Visit online to learn more about us and how we can help you!" and theres the webaddress, since most people have a computer if they're interested they can go on the site read all about our company and why to go with us and get to know us before calling if they want, and it makes you look alot more professional. Theres 2 other landscaping companies in the area that have websites, no lawn care places, so that puts me one step ahead.

10. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

how about asking them, "what did you pay last year?" If they say oh, 25.00 say with gas on the rise, the closest I can get is $30.00, if they say, let me think about it, ask them again, what did you want to pay?....you already plugged a number into them $30.00, if they say, $ 28.00...do it....I know your market is pretty tough....try it...see if it works...