What do you think about Irrigation Assoc.?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by LawnMastersTx, Jan 12, 2008.

1. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

I am looking to join up with one in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, but seeing if it is worth the money.

What do you guys think? If you are apart of one are you glad you joined it? Have you noticed anything coming from them other than the CEU classes some provide?

If you are in the North Texas area do you have any that you suggest joining up with?

Plus I am looking to join up with a Chamber of Commerce in my county, anyone else doing this? Hoping to get some customers through meeting with other business professionals in the area and finding out there needs in landscaping/irrigation.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

My experience with all the above.....worthless...build the biz, learn the trade, attract
    the clients, sell the business. :cool2:

3. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

http://lonestaria.com/
    this one will be the closest one to you. i am a member and we just had our expo in grapevine our next meeting is feb 7 at 6:30pm, come on by for dinner and some nice folks.

4. Mike Leary

Sounds like as much fun as a Airstream convention.:rolleyes:

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto :clapping::clapping:

6. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

So it seems that most of you all dont join up with the organizations? Of those that do, do you notice anything from it, like more business or better prices on goods?

jimmyburg I will try to make it, always wanting to meet more people from the field and learn from the experience they have. Does it cost to show up or just the dinner cost?

7. You have a responsibility to be involved in the community of your trade. Getting together and finding out what is happening at the state and local level is very important IMO. Supporting lobbying effort made on your behalf is also important. Just join and support your association at all levels. Doesn't surprise me that our two CalSense dreamers are down on associating with their brethren.

8. Mike Leary

You guys may be in a market where you have "brethren". we don't.
    Our" brothers" are low life bottom feeding slimeballs, thinking high end is a
    rip off (brass, copper risers, low drain checks, stainless risers,remotes, etc.)
    I don't mean to demean what may be a cool deal for you....I wish it was more
    prevalent, which is why well meaning I.A. bites.:cool:

9. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

You only get out of it what you put into it. Maybe if more people joined professional organizations there wouldn't be as many slimeballs.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I am in the national IA , was ( and will be again come spring) a member of the New Englad IA. The local IA was successful in getting Irrigation contractors to be exempt from lisenceing for low voltage . You also get to meet contractors from out of your work area that are responsible compatant contractors. Then you can work referals for calls that come in out of your work area , and they do the same. Sometimes when you give a referal you here from their relative that is in your area at a later time.