What do you think about my worm bin?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 4, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a sketch of my future worm bins. Curious to know what you think.

The drawers underneath are suppose to be removeable so getting the castings will be easy. If that is necessary. I have never done this so I don't even know if they are needed.

The idea is the "bedding" will be in the drawers where they leave their castings, I saw on T.V. (bear with me now) that they LOVE old bread, I just happen to have easy access to old bread for cheap. I figured that will draw them up so that I don't have to worry too much about screening them out. There would be a screen base above the drawers, the drawing is a little messed up, that will keep the castings and food seperated.

Again, I have never done this and am basing it off of videos, websites, and some shows on T.V.

If I remember right they eat Cow s#*% too right?

Attached Files:

2. DeepGreenLawn

or something like this, these boxes are $15. They look heavy duty enough... probably stackable. If that doesn't work there was 35 gal rubbermaid containers for about $20-$30. Just not very stackable. We have one this large at the house and I figured a few this size would hold a good bit of worms.

Attached Files:

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

great looking bins,the idea is around 1000 worms per square foot, 1000= 1 pound.so thats about a 5 pound box, and can consume about 5 pounds of waste /food a day. your getting a good start. thats 150 lbs of worm feed a month and around 80 lbs of casts that will make a sweet tea.

and just dont be afraid of molasses.

4. DeepGreenLawn

now that is what I like to hear. I figured I would just bag it until I can get to the point of making teas.

Tea shouldn't be too hard with castings should it? Kind of hard to mess them up right?

Do I need bedding like you see in all the residential bins? The one commercial one I saw on T.V. was all automated, had a scraper that scraped the castings out from underneath and on down the convayer belt.

If I use the cow manure they should be happy right?

I was looking at some big plastic barrels at the Tractor supply company. Surprised at how cheap they were, well I thought they would be a lot more. The biggest one, it was over 1000 gal. was still under $1000. Think it was like $800 something. It didn't have many turns, pretty simple, thought it would be easy to clean.

5. DeepGreenLawn

this is the tank, 1500 gal. I think and right under $800. A lot cheaper than I thought it would be. A lot bigger than I would ever need right now too. But you get the idea

Attached Files:

• tank.bmp
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
  6. treegal1

dont do it, another guy that lurks got a flat bottom tank and is hating life, its got to be a cone, or a really good design that you pay for. slow down for a minute. if you want a real close up of a brewer i will pm you one. the tank is the easy part its the air that gets people in trouble, you will need a good new expensive regenerative blower, that's it no more to debate, lets not even try to mess this up. get the good stuff this time and be happy, trust me this from the queen of free. they run about 1200$ for the correct one with the manifold and all, you get what you pay for in this realm

7. DeepGreenLawn

OK, I will scratch that idea and go that way. I guess that follows what you guys always say about not messing around with CT.

8. DeepGreenLawn

OK, back on topic, a few questions:

1) Do I need "bedding" for these bins...

2) Will the worms keep the castings in my drawers or do they just go everywhere and I can skip the work in making them...

3) Will the bread, as I saw on T.V. bring the worms to the top enough to get them out of the "bedding"/drawers so I can harvest them or do I need to get my screen out and screen for them, probably should do this anyways so I don't see how that could matter.

9. treegal1

bedding is not needed, they like it and will eat anything that's in the bins. bread is ok for food, but trapping out worms is......not my thing. for tea you just take hand fulls of casts and worms and put them in a 50 mesh (whatever you got) and wash the casts of the worms and put the bathed worms back in the bin. the whole bag of stuff in the water is not my thing... in our big brewer we just shovel the casts into the water, no screen at all. 1/4 inch chunks swirling around and around. real ghetto simple!!! the brewer is do able for you just don't monkey around. get it going good the first time, planning!!!!!

10. DeepGreenLawn

Is the dumping it in there something you would, well not recommend, but recommend doing or does it need to be screened? I will only need enough for the day so I doubt it would need to be very big at all at first plus it gets diluted right?

Aquarium stores have the 50 mesh bags?

Sounds like we will be discussing schematics with the brewer.

One more thing, when do I know to harvest the castings? I guess you can tell a difference between the manure and castings? Can the worms run out of food? Should I keep the drawers for easier harvesting or just scratch that idea?