What do you think about Synthetic oil in Kaw. Lazer Z???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tynash, Mar 27, 2006.

1. tynash

tynash LawnSite Member

I have 2 Exmark Lazer Z HP's with 23 HP Kaw engines. One I just bought from a guy in December who says he always has run synthetic oil in the engine since he has had it for the past couple years. What you do think about doing that? Any advantages or disadvantages? My old mower has 1300 hours on it now. Do you think it would harm it if I switched it to synthetic now? I have always uses SAE 30 wt in the engine and have not had any issues for 5 years.

Just wanted to see what you all thought about this. I hate to change somthing that has been good to me for this long.

Thanks for the response.

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My 23 kaw and 27 kohler both get Mobile one syn. I have heard some say it makes no difference and some swear by it. I will tell you what I think if I get high hours out of the engines.

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I only run what kawi says to run, that way there is one problem if I would ever need work done under warrenty.

4. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

There is no harm in using synthetic oil in older engines and it actually might do it some good. Its best not to use synthetic in brand new engines. That stuff is just too slick, the engine wont break in properly.

You might want to think about using 10w-30 or 10w-40. This will help protect your engine a bit more on start up and in the colder months.

5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Sythetic is the ONLY way to go!

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

When I bought my Lazer HP in 2001(?) the dealer said if I used Kawi Syn oil I would extend the motor warranty for an additional year. So, I did. Stuff was expensive. But, I never had a problem with it. I have since switched back to Amalie 30W oil and still no problems...just saving more payup