What do you think about the Isuzu's?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by sclk0907, Apr 24, 2007.

1. sclk0907

sclk0907 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of buying an Isuzu cabover truck with a 16' enclosed bed. I can have a landscape ramp added for about $2100+tax. The total rig is going to cost about $22,500. It's a 2003 with 78,000 miles. Do any of you know of anything I need to look for? and is this a practical vehicle to run mowers out of?

2. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

its a lot better than pulling a trailer all day. and it will be better on fuel than a truck that is pulling a trailer. all the Japanese cab overs are more reliable than the Ford, Chevy, Dodge 1 tons out there. but thats just an opinion of mine.

3. glllc

glllc LawnSite Member
    from CT

The ride is vary bouncy and the lack of power is just embarrasing.
    It's the worst thing i ever bought.

Live and learn

4. sclk0907

sclk0907 LawnSite Member

Did you have a diesel or gas?

5. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Was that a diesel?

Did you check on ebay?

6. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I have a 99 3500 Chevy Box van with the 350 engine and 14ft box, has plenty of power to haul 60 inch zmaster, 36 Gravely, 3 blowers, 3 trimmers, and lawnboy. Best purchase ever made for lawns.

7. sclk0907

sclk0907 LawnSite Member

It is a diesel with about 80,000 miles. Another question, would you rather have the box van with a dove tail leading to ramps or would you want the open landscape bed?

8. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I can't comment on the viability of the truck for a lawn care situation. BUt I have had one for my excavation business the last 3years and just bought a 2007 with a dump body. The previous one was a 1995 that was great, diesel, 5 speed, slow, but did everything that was asked of it. Pulled my skid, excavator, etc with no problems. And the brand new one is phenominal. Plenty of power with the 5.2 liter diesel, the irrefutable turning radius, compact. Great truck. If someone isn't happy with one, they had a lemon or one that wasn't maintained properly.

07npr1.jpg

9. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm probably comparing apples to oranges, but a landscaper i work with has a 2005 GMC W4500 cabover that he pulls his 18' open trailer with a 60" deere mid Z, toro 36 and 44" w/b's, trimmers, blowers, etc. with. it does awesome on fuel and around town pulls fine, but out on the highway it don't come close to my 96 F250 PSD. I would hate to see it pulling a skid or mini ex. He only pulls his skid and tractor with his 05 6.0 PSD. The guy I just bought my 89 F450 with a 7.3 IDI diesel and auto just bought an isuzu cabover, and said the old IDI would pull his skid better. I know that pulling my mowers it won't get out of it's own way out on the highway, so I'd hate to see what his cabover is like. But, there are a lot of cabovers around here pulling trailers, so they must do ok. I would think that the ideal setup would be one with a 16' or whatever they are open bed with a dovetail to haul mowers, you can haul mulch, brush, spreaders, spray tank, etc.

10. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

my hino fb 17,600 gvw which is 9700lbs empty get 17 mpg empty, and 14 mpg towing my 8x12 which is about 5,500 lbs loaded. its bouncy...so what...beats a 6-8 mpg gasser.any jap truck will blow away a ford or chevy.economy and reliability, a cabover is the easiest, cheapest to work on too. everything is acessable, especially with a dump body.