What do you think about this idea doorhanger idea?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Feb 8, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I was talking with my assistant the other day about a plan I had. Instead of paying him to hang door-hangers, I would give him $20 for each customer that would sign on with mowing service. He agreed to this also. He is only 22 and eager to do all the walking. I am not an "old fart", but knees get to hurting with too much walking.
    I am paying for the door hangers and mapping out the target area for him.

I was going to target 1000 homes, 5 different times approx a week apart. He will have to only hit them about 3 times, the other 2 times I was going to use a bag with a flier with a little grass seed in it (just to weight them down) one time and a mailing another time. I am looking to gain at least 20 new customers to fill my week.

What do you all think?

Thanks
    MATT

2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Not a bad idea, I don't think that you could go wrong. However, figure it out, on average with a fast pace and him placing 150/hr, 1 every 24 seconds, he could average anywhere between 1-3 new customers making him $20-60 for that hour. $25, now that is average over the long haul, by the #'s. That makes for a killing on his part but it it means that he will probably be working harder and faster. Also, what will it cost you. At $.10 a flier * 100 houses thats $10+($20 for him), can't beat that with a stick IMO. I'm also guessing that he would pass the sub test so that $20 is all you'd pay legally, not for sure but seems like it, others probably know more. If thats it, I could see myself going with something like this too. However, if you have reg employees, you'd probably be better going the other way hourly. Another thing that this will do is have him give his best effort when he talks to people outside and not dump a bunch of hangers somewhere and lie about the time. Only downside I could imagine is him getting discouraged if he does 500 and gets nothing, it can and will happen if he does enough.

Hopefully others will join in on this and add some past experience.

If I were you and this works out for the better, I would consider having him do the same thing in June and again in September, I know that I will be doing at least that much this year since I want to really grow the business as far as new customers and work a more concentrated route, noticed not tighter but more concentrated. Check out into buying possibly 5,000 hangers that could possibly work for the entire year, my bet is that it will only cost about 2-3 times more, if that and what is left over this year can be used again next year.