What do you think about this mower???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southtx, Feb 15, 2006.

1. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

This is what I found today its a Grasshopper 720K Mower but the engine does not run. The mower its self looks clean but I can not get any informatiom other then the engine does not run. The fact of the matter is I dont have use for a mower of this size but if I can get it for a good price I say why not.. I have not been able to see the mower up close but the the only problem they say is the engine. What do yall think something like that is worth????

big_1089_CITY4.jpg

big_1089_CITY4a.jpg

big_1089_CITY4b.jpg

2. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally wouldn't even go see it. I would stay as far away from it as possible. It looks to me that you would have to do more than just replace the engine. Plus with the much use to use out an engine, I wouldn't think that the hydro pumps would be very strong. Those are about $1,000 a piece. I would stay away, but that is just my two cents.

3. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Run like the wind!

My .02 is the following: This is a commercial mower. When a commercial company takes care of their units, they never end up looking like this one. Engine not running, caster wheels missing, and who knows what else. It has probably had a very hard life and could cost a fortune to get it running. I might consider hauling it away for $50.00, just to tinker with it.

Good luck

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Like the others said, unless you just want to store it at your house/shop until you take it to the dump I wouldn't bother with it.

5. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Run run as fast as you can its the grasshopper man. Those mowers are nothing but trouble and if the engine is bad then everything else will go bad soon too.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

yep, looks like someone has made it into a parts salvage unit. It is possible that the engine dosn't need replacement, could be other problems keeping it from running. Front casters won't be too cheap, uness you have a source for some off another junk machine that will fit. Of course if the hydros are bad, and they are notorious for going bad as they were usually undersized for the weight of the machines, then it's worthless... Also it looks to be a 60" cut and 20 hp isn't nearly enough power really. The deck is the older style shallow deck too. It looks to be in good condition though.

Just judging by the seat (if it's origional) and the foot rest plate it dosn't appear to have that many hours on the machine. (less than 1,000)

7. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

:nono: run like hell.......