What do you think about this truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pattytastik, Jun 20, 2011.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

It would make a great 1st truck and will handle a small trailer easy. The only weak point on this truck is the transmission, but would handle a light trailer well.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had one. The engine is a dog, and, sucks gas. Don't even think of trying to pass someone on a 2 lane highway if you are towing a trailer. It will take you 3 miles to get around them. All in all, mine was a solid truck, just had a gas sucking engine, with not much get-up-and-go.

4. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Never EVER buy a vehicle without a "carfax" search. And this is the one time you can always say "NEVER"!

5. Aaronnc

Aaronnc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7B

6. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

I would have to think all those would be misprints, at least for a Minnesota market. If I needed a different truck then I too would be picking up the phone to buy, then picking up another phone and try to sell at a higher price.

7. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

My 1996 F-150 has the straight six also. 245,000 mile's.
    Get's 12-14 mpg.
    Handle's a 6x10 trailer with a ton load OK.

The price seem's high though.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  8. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not bad. Your thinking about buying an older truck with lots of life is very sound. You can save a LOT of money on depreciation, insurance and the purchase price.

You definitely need to do a few things before you buy:
    1) CARFAX report, as already mentioned.
    2) Take it to a GOOD mechanic you trust and have him lok i tover. You can use what he finds to talk down the price, or it can steer you away from problems.
    3) Test drive it towing a trailer similar to what you'll use.

Good luck.

9. airsoft1779

airsoft1779 LawnSite Member

If you wait, you can find a better deal, just be on the look out. I was faced with the same position as you were, and Personally, I would only spent around $2000 and find one the same age or older with no more then 150,000 miles at most. That will last you a good 5 years or so if you only use it for mowing, and then you can spent the cash on a mower. Besides, after about 3-4 years, you will want a new truck anyways. This is what I did and no regrets. I got a black f150, 84 with 150,000 miles on it. Mechanically, It is perfect, just a few minor things liked no air condition and ripped seat, minor flaws like that etc..

And another thing to consider is that with f150s, from about 80s to 96 models I believe( may be wrong) they have basically the same parts, just got nicer, more accessories, fancy stuff etc, but mechanically they are basically the same, the only difference is fuel injection on the newer models.. engine and transmission and those mechanical parts, basically all the same. So getting an older truck with the same miles for cheaper will get you basically the same car.. just a tip.

Believe me, I researched these things for like year to cause I am 17 as well and money is tight.. ohh yaa, insurance is great with an 84

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/history.html

10. ChevHayes

ChevHayes LawnSite Member

I think price is pretty high. No matter which way you cut it, the truck is still 16 years old and is going to have some problems for being that old. Yes, it has low mileage but when things sit around, it can be a problem.