1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you think about Ventrac tractors

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by crawfot, Aug 21, 2006.

1. crawfot

crawfot LawnSite Member

We are looking at buying a Ventrac tractor 32hp diesel with Mower deck,snow plow,& snowblower.We have a lot of hilly mowing and long driveways.We have been told it is the best on the market,that can be all season use.We do only private Estates.Thanks for any input you can give me.
  2. Echelon

Echelon LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i used a ventrac on a country club i worked at. its basically a steiner on steroids. we had alot of problems with it. hydraulic leaks were common. in summer we had to run it without the hood or it would overheat and shut down. even with the hood off, after using it a bit, if you shut it down it wouldnt restart for sometimes 10-15 mins. it had duallys all around and it snapped axles twice in one summer i was there. when theyre working they are pretty much unstoppable though. the steiners we used had about the same issues. in their defense they were used all day daily so...
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have two Steiners and one Ransomes (exactly the same). We use them for rough area mowing, spraying, sweeping, blading, seeding, aerating, rolling, fertilizing, lifting, blowing, etc. I make most of my own attachments.
    Echelon, when running duals it is very important to run the correct air pressure in the tires. too much air pressure in the outside duals and you will break the axles. Too much weight at the outside edge when you go over rough areas. I also have some of the leaks you talk about and they are very hard to get at to repair. Everything is very compact and not fun to work on. However they do have some really good qualities.
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I had leaks on my ventrac also, the problem was from fualty crimped hydraulic hoses. I replaced the hoses ( with a lot of cussing) and stopped the leaks. I like my Ventrac with the diesel turbo but it does overheat to easy. As long as I keep a check on the screen that covers the radiator and keep it clean it works fine, but the screen can clogg pretty fast in dusty conditions. I use my tractor mostly with other attachments, stumpgrinder, power rake, ( both super dusty), and the trencher, than I do with the mowing deck
  5. crawfot

crawfot LawnSite Member

I got to use one for a week and it walked right up the hills this one hill is about 45degrees the ventrac says 30 degrees max but it was dry and it walked right up.Now that was straight up and straight down.Now it does seem dangerous on hills that are not smooth.Iam think more like buying one.
  6. McGolf

McGolf LawnSite Member

I had the opportunity to test the turbo diesel with the 60" deck on a pretty ruff field. The power is with out question, the quality of cut was excellent. However, as already posted it did over heat pretty fast and that was due to the dusty condition. suposedly the ventrac is to answer the probelms of the stiener.
    The unit ate gas pretty quick too. I attribute it to the turbo unit. I would consider the non turbo unit.
    After it was all said and done I bought the 430 max, a power rake, a ventrac blade and the steiner 60" deck.
    The cut is the same the ventrac although not as roomy and the controls are not as rider friendly as the ventrac.
    I mowed our 10-11 acres landing area in about 4.5 hours and I am rookie at this mowing thing
  7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

We do alot of mowing and used to have overheating problems constantly. One of the ways I minimized the overheating was take a window screen apart, throw the frame away, and duct tape the remaining screen on the outside hood of the tractor where there is air intake. When it gets clogged, rip it off, shake it out, or wash it and re-duct tape it on the machine. It works pretty good and saves cleaning the filters inside the machine as much.
  8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we demo's one when looking at dingo's...

i did not like how long it would take to change attachments, and how expensive they were.

also the pully's that drove the pumps for the loader weere only inches off the ground..

overall i was not impressed with the unit. I think as a mower, that you COULD do other things with it would be ok