What do you think happened to our lawn?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by AngryFish, Aug 19, 2003.

1. AngryFish

AngryFish LawnSite Member

What do you think happened to our lawn? The yellow streaks that you see in the pictures came on in a matter of a couple of days.

1. Fertilizer burn. Fertilizer was applied last week.
    - or -
    2. Not enough water. Temperature was in the mid to upper 90s all
    last week. Grass was only watered every other day for 10-15 minutes.
    - or -
    3. Other. Something else.

The pictures are at http://members.lycos.co.uk/sqrlspam/lawn.html

The lawn next door (marked by the other set of brick steps) has no yellow patches nor streaks at all.

Thank you for looking! Email me at g0n8kyu02@TAKETHISPARTOUTsneakemail.com!

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Certainly looks like a chemical burn, similiar to a fertilizer burn. What kind of fertilizer was put on? Was the grass under drought stress? Did the fert. utilize muriate of potash for it's potassium source?

3. Grassmechanic

Ooops. Re-read your post. Mid to upper 90's is too hot to fertilize cool season grasses

4. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

grass mech. if mid 90's is too hot to fert cool season grass, did you take last summer off, or did you use slow release fertilizer?

5. Grassmechanic

mid 90's is too hot to fert cool season grass. Only a fool would fertilize at those temps. You're asking for trouble. The grass is under enough stress from the heat without forcing it to feed. Slow release is all I ever use. And I never fertilize when temp is above 85 and no more than 1/2 # N at a time.

6. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I worked all last summer in 90-95 degree days and didn't have a problem, we couldn't take any time off or we would never finish our work by the end of the year. I didn't have many complaints, and I still made the money, I think that the fool is the one that skips the summer application and looses all of that money.

7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

That does actualy appear to be a chemical burn.

What type of spreader did you use? Drop type?

What exposure is that side of the building.

10 - 15 minutes water even everyday in 90 degree heat is not enough.

30+ minutes every other day. Add a day to the cycle in high heat.

Also looked like you had foot prints there as well that looked dead.

I am going to ask if you can tell us more? What was applied last? how? what activity was there in the past 2 weeks?

8. Grassmechanic

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then. Count your blessings you didn't smoke more lawns. Not many complaints? I NEVER have complaints. They are not acceptable. Last summer, a local lco called me to look at a lawn of his. It was cooked from fertilizing in the heat. I now have his customer, but he had to resod 8,500 sf. And who said that I skip any apps?