What do you think is the BEST combination of double blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Apr 15, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you think is the best combo for typical, weekly mowing during the summer? Tell what kinds you use (Gator, High Lift, etc.) and wether or not you use spacers. (And of course, which pattern you use -- a "+" pattern, or a "X" pattern on your spindles :D )

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Don't know if this is the best but gators and medium lift blades are working great for me. Double high lifts I might have tried but do not think I have enough power for that and this works great. No clumping, no large clippings laying on top, and surprisingly with 14hp single Kaw and 52" deck pulling a sulky it's working fine. In really tall/thick stuff you have to slow down but next time I'm at the parts store I'm gonna get a tach and turn it up alittle. I think also the deck belt needs alittle tighter. But I'm happy with them. I had gators on bottom and regular blades on top last week and it did great but I switched them this week when I sharpened them so it's gator on top of regular blades. Seems to work alittle teeny bit better (slightly better discharge less likely to clump, alittle cleaner cut maybe). I wouldn't be afraid to try double regular lift blades if I had enough power.
    Alot of yards here haven't gotten the big growth spurt yet which is unusual for this time of year. Hasn't rained alot either. Don't use any spacers unless you have "saddle brackets" on your spindles. Remember unless you have blade spindle spacers, you will have to raise your deck a 1/2" or so to compensate for the blades sticking down alittle lower.

Oh yea doubles also stripe better :D

Don't think I will be taking them off anytime soon ;)

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

High lifts on the bottom and gators on top...no washer, just torque them together.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have found the combination mentioned by Rodfather to be the best for my setup as well. You may have to experiment as not all decks are designed the same.

Gravely_Man

5. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Double Highlifts for me. No spacers. Btw I try to put them in an +:D

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I am a big advocate of double blades, - different combos for different conditions, but for mid-sseason mowing, I'd rather not even use them with a Lazer.

7. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

3 sharp blades on a Lazer works best for me.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

An x is just a sideways +

:rolleyes:

I agree with my buddy Leo!

3 SHARP blades is all I need.

9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I KNOW that! ;) I just put that on there as a joke :D

10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

What mowers? Different blade set-up's work differently on different decks.

Last season I used Standard lifts on bottom and standard Melcher's on top(outward draft) on a 61" GD. They worked good, but too much grass build up on the baffles.

Used Double highs on a bunton, worked great.