What do you think, Is turnabout fair play?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wells, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I was out aerating yesterday and ran into a group of three individuals out doing the same thing. I stopped and got talking with them and found out that none of them do this type of work during the season.

They have a window cleaning business that keeps them busy through out the year. The only reason that their out aerating is because they can make some fast cash in a short amount of time.

At first I was sort of pissed that they were doing this without being in the lawn care industry and then it hit me. If their going to infringe on my turf during the aerating season I think I'll start doing window cleaning during the winter months when lawn care is slow. They want to take cash from my pocket in the summer, I'll take it from theirs in the winter.

What do you think, Is turnabout fair play?
  2. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

What about subbing the aerating out to them! Have them do the work using their machine and time and you still get something in return. They're in the window cleaning business and you're in the lawn business. Trying to 'cut into their business' is just a waste of time. Maybe you can also sub window cleaning to your current customers too?
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

You should do window cleaning if you want to. I think of window cleaning as one of those things you can do to move toward total property maintenance. You already have clients you can hit up for the cleaning and you can just put window cleaning in a winter advertisment.
  4. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

We live in a free market economy where people can choose who they want to provide services for them.

If you can make money cleaning windows I say go for it. If the people buying thier aeration services think they are gettting the same job as you provide let them. Hell, they could be getting the same job but you need to market yourself as being an expert in the field, not a guy looking to make a quick buck.
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

This was your first mistake! This is the time of year when no lawn service company should have a few minutes to talk to any one, but clients. There is such a flurry of activity going on now with contract renewals, new prospective customers, advertising venues, equipment maintenance and/or just getting it ready, and estimates. I've got 14 estimates to do today and the only reason I'm home is to eat a sandwich and check out this site. Which I"m now wasting precious time responding to.

I think some people create their own problems by always talking to others and worrying about their business. I attended a turf seminar yesterday with over 400 local LCO's attending. I sat there with my fert rep and told him I honestly didn't know one fricken' person. I've been in business full-time for three years. The moral to my story is, I don't care to know anyone else in the business. I know what I want and what I have to do to get it done. Talking to other guys and wasting my time doing so is pointless.

The old saying, "what you don't know don't hurt you". Holds true even when it's against you. Now you're all disgusted with these window washer guys. I'd say focus on why you don't have enough work. I'm sorry, I mean no personal attack toward you, but it sure seems easier to complain about others, than to focus on yourself.

Besides, it's a free country. If washing windows will make you feel better and think you're getting even with them, go ahead. I'm sure those guys feel the same way you do. I'm sure at one point they ran into someone that did aerations and window cleaning on the side. I just wouldn't get upset over stuff like this, it's pointless and you just tear yourself up inside.
  6. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

Do windows. I ran into a local lco last summer. He bought a power-washer to clean his mower. Well, drought struck and he had no grass to clean off his mower deck let alone making money. He started subbing for a painter friend power-washing houses.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I just saw that the corner gas station is making sandwiches now. Should subway start selling gas? If they want to. If it offends you then move to Cuba, the weather is great, beautiful beaches, i could go on and on.........
  8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I was just joking about trying to break into their market. Windows is the last thing on my list of things to do....but what gets to me is that fact that these guys are really no different than short term scrubs.

They have no clue about lawn care, their business license is in a completly different line of work, they show up for two or three weeks and then are gone, they don't bother getting insurance for the time their out there working, and their taking business from those that are legitimate.

Im guessing nobody else finds these types of people to be annoying!
  9. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Nope, not annoying at all. Welcome to America. Hey go buy your own power washer for a few hundred bucks, try using some salesmanship and write on your bill, "Mr. X be glad to power wash your driveway for $XX and remove those oil stains for you."
    See how it works?
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wells, i am a firm believer that a taste of ones own medicine is a great way to open eyes, and get revenge. we had a neighbor here on my block, who would call the township anytime someone did anything. if a guy put up a fence, she would call and say she didn't think he had a permit. if i come home from mowing for a few min, and i park in front of the fire hydrant, she will call the cops(it's in front of my own house). well, simple solution. i looked at everything i could possibly find wrong about her property , and called the borough. her dog is about 80 yrs old, can barely walk, but hey, i think it may bite my children, now she has to keep it on a leash. she sprayed roundup along the curb, there just happens to be a sewer there, i called and said her herbicides were getting into the sewer system...you get my point. she don't start trouble anymore