What do you think of my estimate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hardcore5657, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Hardcore5657

Hardcore5657 LawnSite Member

Spring clean up, trim 15 bushes, weed and edge flower beds, supply and install 3yds of mulch, supply and install 3tons of delaware river rock. = $580 What do you think too high, or too low, or just right? Thanks for the help!!!!!

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

WAY to low. My price would be more then that just for the mulch and river rock!

3. Hardcore5657

Hardcore5657 LawnSite Member

what I thought I don't wanna be a lowballer

4. Storm the Patriot

Storm the Patriot LawnSite Member

Give yourself a price that would be good for you on an hourly basis, and add that to the time you think it will take and give it a shot. It takes time to figure out how to do estimates, and then when you think you know how...you can still mess up. Best wishes.

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

:laugh::laugh: dang!!!
    Thats low,just in rock and installing that be 400

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I can't see the work and at first sight it actually looks kind of high, mulch and rock go for ...
    Yeah, 400, I can second that.

15 bushes, who knows, what if it takes an hour...
    Trim and edge and weed, another hour?
    Granted it will probably take longer :p

But you have $180 to play with and that's enough to pay yourself a comfortable 6 hours at $30 an hour.
    Dang I still almost think it's high 6 hours for that little bit of work but then again it ain't me that's gotta do it lol

Monitor your time, see how it goes, you'll want to compare your actual performance to what you bid so that you can
    make necessary adjustments for the future, in the end you want to be neither of too low nor too high.
    So I wouldn't worry about it, just do your best and I think you'll be fine.

7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I would probably be right around $1,000 for that job. Seriously, that's actually a lot of work, especially with that rock. Don't forget your fabric and all that jazz too.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't put down fabric unless the customer specifically requests it.
    Me not like putting down petrol based products into organic media. :nono:

I might suggest it, but it took years of experience to read customers and figure out those who
    might not mind having it because I can tell you plastic fabric is a touchy subject with some.

Cholo no mix no plastics with dirt.

Besides, it's expensive, doesn't completely stop the weeds and if it ever has to come up, a pita to deal with.

9. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't ever put it down in much. But for rocks I do.

10. Yarden Of Eden

Yarden Of Eden LawnSite Member

depends how big the clean-up is.
    rock work is heavy PITA work, and mulch is easy.
    I always bid as paying myself an hourly wage, plus 33% for taxes, material cost plus 15-20% and then about 15% extra to cover fuel costs, equipment maintenance insurance and all that jazz. by doing this, I never have been burned and I am always happy with the profit on each job!