What do you think of scag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, May 5, 2002.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I wanted to know what all you guys thought of scag? WHat are the pros and cons? thanx

2. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I LOVE MY SCAGS!!!!! I own two and going to buy another turf tiger with the kawisaki 27, in a couple of months. alot of people have there opinions about scag but i have had only minor problems with mine, like trash in the carb and small stuff like that, my dealers are great and customer support is good frm what i can tell. that is my opinion about them...

3. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

I can't speak for anyone else but mine was a POS. Had the Z-turn with the 18 Kohler(48) and it was nothing but trouble from day one.
    Deck was not hung right. Dealer tried nine ways from Sunday to correct it but nothing worked. Idler pulleys one after another.
    Carb problems as mentioned above. Key switch (times two).
    Starter twice and it liked to eat batteries.
    Never any problems with the pumps or spindles. Lousy dealer. (They lost the line.)
    I've talked to other guys that run them with hardly ever a problem. Mine must have been a lemon.
    They seem to have fixed a lot of the flaws in the Z's though.
    Best thing you could do is demo one out if the dealer will let you. Put it thru the paces and see how you like it.;)
  4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I also love my Scag just as much. They may not be as good as Exmark like everyone says but i think it's a hell of a machine. My dealer has very good customer service and always give me personal discounts on parts and stuff.
    Scag for Life! The LCO that used to do my neighbors grass had Scags all the time so i alwaysa watched him as a kid and so my first mowers a Scag. Too bad for him i service that property now.:D
  5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a new Scag 52-SWZU and its really does a great job with the doubles, it lays down some awesome stripes very detailed look, just now have 50hrs but so far so good my dealer treats me great ive been dealing with him for 11yrs now and get the 15% discount off all items.I can say that the 17hp Kaw don't swing doubles as good as my 16hp Vandguard,but so far im very happy with my purchase. Im glad that Richard told me about the valve and joint for oil changes on the Kaws,it was a mess changing oil untill i installed that now its mess free. Marks Mowing Service
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Scag = Toro(mowers) = Jaguar(cars) = you pay large dollars for the name.

BTW, I have 3 Toro 72" Groundmasters Mowers...can't afford the Jag cars, though.

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

mark i see you run a ultimate deck where did you find longer blade bolts to run doubles i have 2 48 ultimate machines and want to run doubles also but seems bolts arentr long enough
  8. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52", 20 Horse SCAG Hydro. I bought it used in 1997 and have only replaced bearings on one spindle since. This is all the mower has required. My opinion, strong machine.
  9. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag Super Z 52 (22 Kohler)...runs good, clumps bad. I even run doubles, and still get clumps when cutting 1.5 - 2 inches.
  10. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased my 52 inch Scag TT w/22hp liquid cooled almost 4 months ago. awesome machine! The 22hp gives me all the power I need along with pretty good fuel economy. The new advantage deck gives a great cut. I have a friend who purchased a 52 exmark w/25 Kohler about the same time. Both mowers cut beautifully, but we both think the direct driveshaft to the blades gives the Turf Tiger an advantage in thick wet grass. Demo all mowers you are interested in before making your decision. While I love my TT, others may hate theirs, you will ultimately be the one who has to mow with the unit you choose.