What do you think of these numbers, please help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, May 16, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

This sheet reflects my cost of doing business. Solo operation, lawn maintenance. mowing, spring-fall cleanups, mulch, beds and work out of my home. This is my business at this point, when I add employee(s) other costs will incur.

Who feels I need to break this down further, month, week, hour?
    What am I missing? What costs do you disagree with?
    Are my aging figures accurate on some of the equipment and supplies? I do not have enough experience to feel completely comfortable about some aging figures.

I am still a small operation w/40 weekly accounts.

cost2.jpg

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Is you fuel amount correct? I have a diesel & I know I'm spending more than that a year. It's more like 5000 a year. Unless your lawns are all super close to each other.

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Toner? You have a copy machine? And what about ink for your printer? Thats kinda pricey.

4. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I spend around 4k on gas just in the truck....

5. DynaMow

carcrz - I am basing that on $50 per week - 35 week year
    my 40 accounts are all within 5 miles of my house

splicer - my printer uses toner, its a HP 4000 laser jet. 27 pages per minute,
    black & white only, approx 10,000 pages per cartridge, I refill myself.
    Print all my own flyers.

mystic - I might be a little low, but pretty close.

Thanks for your input, such valuable information from people on here. Just wish more would respond sometimes. I know there are a lot here that can add alot of perspective on this.

6. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

how large are your accounts, you will spend way more on gas, and equipment supplies. My first year in business I spent close to $23,000, not including equipment purchases

7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Intrest you can write off intrest! that is a seperate cost unless you pay for it all. I keep very accurate records and then I break it down by job performed. So I have a cost for mowing (I call itweekly maint.) Then mulching, edging, weeding and so forth then I try to figure each service and what it's share of the bills are then what I figured out is some obviously produce more profit than others and which ones really work for my set up. So when I advertise I direct it towards which ever service I feel is more profitable and helps us max out our equipment. For example we have a ton of accounts that every year we show up cut the bed edges haul it out and we leave. Either home owner finishes or who ever. For me this is extremly profitable becasue once you do one house in an alotment everyone on the street sees this and we usually walk out of their with 2 days worth of mowing money.

No with mowing you need to figure miles so you can set money aside for repairs. Plus hours per week on equipment. Plus I time all the accounts randomly throught the year I time drive time and I time work time. You will need to know this so when you get employess you have a basis to compare.
    Plus you need to determine an amount of money set aside each year for growth and reinvesting into equipment. That is a starters point! their is just so much crap to keep track of thats why I use quickbooks!

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Thats it? Your lucky, my gas bill has been around $900 PER month these past 3 months, and since gas is going up, most likely $1100 for the rest of the summer (OUCH).

I need to figure out how much ALL of my expenses are costing me like the thread starter did, but I dont have the dang time. I know I'd be shocked and wouldnt be suprised if it was costing me more money to run my business than its making.

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Up your marketing costs a bit if you want to be respected out there. We spent your number in marketing alone for the first 3 years until we were established. Now we spend close to 10k yr. Client-base is the key to your future stability. Good clients=good prospects and visa-versa. Remember that your clients properties are viewed by every person that drives by with your truck there and everyone they known and so on. Keep your property values high and your work quality at the same rate. And of course...up your prices to reflect your skill!

10. DynaMow

RedWings you must make the time, I had a rainy 5 days and was able to research this to get my numbers.
    Tim my accounts are 1/4 to 1/3 acre, all pretty small. I do not travel more then 10 miles on any route day. These fuel numbers are directly from my receipts so far this year.

thanks all, now if I could just get guys like Mac, Envy, and others with vast experience to add their input. MMLawn already did privately, what a nice guy Mike is. Thanks all, you all are very helpful and add much insight.Not missing anything though huh?