What do you think of this FLYER

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jslawncare, Feb 7, 2003.

1. samk

samk LawnSite Member

You still have not stated if you are paying taxes
  2. jslawncare

jslawncare LawnSite Member

Last year I just listed it on my tax form, but I might set up a separate one this year. I havent made significant amounts of monet in the first couple of years to justify getting a tax id, however that might be an option. And insurance is definately goign to be added this year.
  3. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Had a lady that called me last fall. She explained to me that she was not happy with the "kid" that was cutting her grass all year. The final straw was when the "kid" moved or knocked a downspout for the gutter on her house; actually the extension on the downspout.... Well it rained and rained and rained. Guess what? Her basement flooded. Who got sued? Yes, the "kid" and his family. Found out yesterday that a judgement was awarded to woman in the amount of $7250. Guess what else? He was cutting the grass at $15. We cut it at $35 now. Finally, do you think he had insurance? No insurance, although he advertised on his fliers that he was insured. She got lucky with that one....

Funny thing is that $7250 is all he probably grossed for the season.
  4. jslawncare

Yes, I do realize now that insurance is definately a good thing. Maybe because Im young and havent had any problems like that, ive been ignorant to these problems. Now since ive come to the board, I really know what can happen and I will get insurance for the next year, thats definately a must.
  5. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh... back to my old wal-mart vs sacks fifth ave. example.

Sells stuff cheap and is the largest company in the world.

Sacks fifth ave.

Sells stuff expensive and does very well for it self

What type of business do you want to be?

Wal-mart? Sacks? Target? Enron? lol

As far as the price on the flyer. Statistics show that advertizement with coupons in them increase the rate of return by 26%

anyway I hope this helps.
  6. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Trying to remember but the last Target ad in Sunday's paper didn't have coupons and neither did the last Sak's ad I think I saw in St. Louis?? .... I don't think Walmart did either....
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

$20.00??? WTF is that? Man if I caught you in my areas with those prices FA'GET ABOUT IT!! I have to agree with Lawn DOG. As you said in an earlier post "ive been ignorant to these problems". We'll I believe you've been a little more ignorant than you think. What about insurance, worker's comp, licensing, associations, registered?? Pay for any of that? I understand you have to get through school... but I have a family to feed. And I am LEGIT! Better watch out where you hang those flyers!! :nono: :nono: :nono:
  8. jslawncare

I understand that I'm low on price but I honestly dont pull much business from the pros, and i think the business i get is from people willing to support a kids education rather than a business trying to expand and make thousands

And like i said before, people are very cheap in this area and to get some business you cant charge high prices. I was amazed at the prices some of you guys charged when i got on here. Remember that we're all in different regions here, its a global site, and therefore EVERY area is different. Don't criticize what you dont know.
  9. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

How many accounts do you hope to have?
  10. jslawncare

About enough to pay for half my education..keep in mind i dont have scholarships and i go to an out of state school...