What do you think of this freehand rock wrk?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by sheshovel, Jun 7, 2005.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Some freehand rockwork .I cant decide if I like it or not.Not my work,a local guy around here.What's your opinion on the overall look of this kind of work?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's creative and someone spent a good deal of time with it, however I don't care much for the rambling nature of it.
    No focal point in my mind..........

It does look like good work other than that though............

3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

4. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Very art-y, likely very labor-intensive to accomplish. Although it's not the sort of stonework I prefer, I like it better than the "Slide Creek Estates" home behind it. Ticky-tacky (Malvina Reynold's song, "Little Boxes" comes to mind.)

5. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Kind of a guady design....looks like it belongs at a miniature golf course or something

6. Mountaingoat

Mountaingoat LawnSite Member

Hmmm Maybe we are to used to seeing things square and plumb, kept looking for the squared corners. ;)
    It does look different. Fits in with the name of the place.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I love it except for the weird snake rock that is waving between the river rocks. If you'd remove those rocks that would really look cool! Still doesn't look bad. But the waves detract from it.

8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I suspect that the 'weird snake rock' is supposed to represent Slide Creek (as in Slide Creek Estates). Although likely only the locals have any idea what Slide Creek is or if it meanders as depicted in the stonework.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

here's a close up of the rock

10. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to say it is unique,not really my cup of tea but if they got paid then someone liked it...