what do you think of this mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Oct 2, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Briggs vanguard is a good motor, that machine is a consumer product, not commercial.
  3. lawnwizards

whats the difference? i couldn't find the steel gauge for the decks. i figured probably something like 10 or 12 gauge. anyone know for sure?
  4. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

For that price buy some thing you know is commercial, like a demo exmark hp.
  5. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Its more in the drive system, suspension, motor, frame, bearings, spindles, and deck design. The mower is an excellent homeowner machine but just lacks the brawn to stand up to HD commercial use. For the price (50" mower) You can find a solid demo unit or slightly used unit from one of the major makers. I mean ferris make that model only better with a 21hp kaw and a 48" deck for 5999.
  6. lawnwizards

is simplicity the sony of mowers. name only? i wish we had a ferris dealer around here. after hearing rod brag about em, i know they must be great machines.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just so you know, Simplicity owns Ferris.

The Simplicity Citation and Cobalt are just Ferris mowers.
    So is the walkbehind and all the old ZTR's (Colt, Stallion).

Anyways, that little mower is a nice homeowner machine. Commercial pumps and wheel motors. But small tires (short front tires suck) and a Simplicity lawn tractor deck. The cut and stripe are GREAT, but the deck material is rather thin.

I used to always say that for "my machine" deck thickness did not matter. But to be honest, I would have totaled 5 by accident this season. So....
  8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

you asked, it something for home owner. what are you looking for a cheap price or good mower?
  9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Just so you know, Briggs&Stratton owns the Ferris and Simplicity brand lines.
  10. lawnwizards

can't i have both?