Lawn Care Forum banner

What do you think of this trailer, Deal Or No

15K views 66 replies 29 participants last post by  jsslawncare 
#1 ·
Brand New 2008 PJ 77x12 Utility Trailer 3500lb Axle with 15" 6ply Radial Tires. Three Inch Channel Iron, Powder Coated Frame (not formed steel) with Wrap Around Tongue. 6" of Channel Iron the Frame/Tongue Stress Point. Diamond Plate Aluminum Fender with Sealed Lights. Treated 2x6 Wood Deck, Spring Assist Rear Gate, Plus Side Load Ramps

Should i buy this for $1500

Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Wood

See less See more
#4 ·
I just yesterday purchased a 6.5' x 12' trailer in Triune, Tennessee for $899. See the attached picture. Very nicely built trailer and tracks straight as a string down the road at 70mph. Save the $600 and get this one............Lynn

#5 ·
I just yesterday purchased a 6.5' x 12' trailer in Triune, Tennessee for $899. See the attached picture. Very nicely built trailer and tracks straight as a string down the road at 70mph. Save the $600 and get this one............Lynn
I don't think i would be saving much by driving all that way. By the way there was no image.

#6 ·
Sorry, I couldn't get the picture to load. It's on craigslist. Nashville Tn area, then type Triune in the search box. That's how I found mine. Mike Stephenson is the man to deal with. Nice well built trailers. You, however, are probably too far away to justify the trip.................Lynn

#7 ·
Sorry, I couldn't get the picture to load. It's on craigslist. Nashville Tn area, then type Triune in the search box. That's how I found mine. Mike Stephenson is the man to deal with. Nice well built trailers. You, however, are probably too far away to justify the trip.................Lynn
Wow that is a nice trailer but too far for me.

#9 ·
Why is it open on both sides ?

I dont see any gate or rails for the open sides...

might wann run it by your insurance Co. before purchasing
Hello the 4 wheeler ramps laid across sideways makes the sides. the guy wont come down any on it after all said and done it will be $1700 i think i can do better.

#11 ·
Was it made that way or did he cut the rails out himself to make it side loadable? A trailer dealer told me the rails are a structure of the trailer frame and that cutting into them will turn it into a limp noodle. Ive seen the factory built trailers with side gates, but never one of these. Id say if it was originaly like this then the engineers took it into consideration when designing it and beefed up the under frame to compensate for the missing rails. 1500 is a pretty good deal IMO. You could always have an expanded metal gate made and install hinges on it so that you wouldnt have to jack with the ramps everytime. Make it work like the one on the back.

#14 ·
Last week I just ordered an 18ft (bed length) dual axle wrap trailer with 4' drop gate in the back and a 5' wide 4' drop gate on the right side and 1 axle with brakes for under $1400. I should have it in another week only because they had to custom make the 18'. So I'm with most everyone else here, that price seems very high.

#17 ·
As you can see in the pic both sides of trailer is open .
Not positive, but do the ramps some how slide into other RAILS ...?
Nobody, with any IQ would risk their load going A wall...:nono:
Unless you strap it down.

#18 ·
As you can see in the pic both sides of trailer is open .
Not positive, but do the ramps some how slide into other RAILS ...?
Nobody, with any IQ would risk their load going A wall...:nono:
Unless you strap it down.
Yes they double as rails.

#21 ·
1500 IS alot for a 12 ft single axle trailer. Th rail idea is kinda cool, as long as there is a continuous slot that you can put the rails into for variable widths. If there is only two fixed slots at that width, it isn't worth a darn.
The comment above about the structure of the trailer is a good one. Trailers built with ladder frames generally ARE constructed so the ladder frame supports the structure of the trailer. However, in cases like this, this trailer is built with a wrapped tongue. With a wrapped tongue, while the whole ladder can help support the structure, it is not necessary. Flatbed trailers are built this way with these type of tongues. They are by far superior, and I know the next trailer I purchase will be constructed that way.

#24 ·
#25 ·
What are you planning on putting on it?
I have a 48 inch scag wb, 2 lawnboy push mowers and a 52 inch everride scorpion fx, 2 weed whips, 2 blowers
Right now i have a 2 year old 5x8 fleet farm trailer that is getting to small and is really cheap. I paid 700 for that one when i started.

#26 ·
That is the going rate for a 12' PJ around here.
I have a 10', and have yet to see another brand of trailer built as heavy. Mine has a 3500 lb. brake axle.
Those side ramps are built that way, kind of a pain, but out of the way when used as side rails, and convenient for a wheeler or tractor, not so much a ZTR with small front tires (tires will fall down between slats in ramps), a walk behind can be 'wheelied' up them so the front tires dont fall in.
The only problem I've had with mine in 3 years, is the expanded metal on rear gate breaks, need more supports where the wheels of the mower ride up it, or replace it with a heavier guage expanded metal. (though this will make the gate heavier to lift)

If you are looking for a trailer that will last a good long time, a PJ will definately do the job.
I paid $850 3 years ago for the 10' with brakes, granted steel prices are up, so I'd say it is probably 1000-1200 now?? If it were me, I'd compare brakes vs. no brakes prices, look on PJ's website, is there a dealer that has a left-over? They dont change year to year, but you might get a good price.
My trailer pulls so nice, when I pull with a 1/2 ton loaded up with mowers, it doesn't push me around if I have to stop quick, or decend a steep hill.
Hope it helps,
Matt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.