What do you think of this truck? 1991 F350 7.3 Diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pattytastik, Feb 15, 2012.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2852971530.html

It almost looks too good to be true. I contacted the seller and apparently it has no rust issues and no know mechanical problems... It would be nice to have the mpg advantage of a diesel (and strength of a f350).

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Sad to think of that as a 20 year old truck. I would be worried about a truck that old with that few of miles. Its not good on a truck to do a lot of sitting. Btdt, twice. Otherwise I wouldn't be scared of it at that price. The original 7.3s aren't as good as the 7.3 powerstrokes, but I'd take it over a 6.0 or a 6.4 any day.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

The odometer only goes up to 99999. I bet ya they rolled over. So its really 178K. Also, those IDI diesels dont have turbos, so they cant even get out of their own way.

4. pattytastik

That's a great point about the odometer. What do u mean about the non turbos not being able to get out of there own way? I'm not very familiar with diesels
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

It means accelerating in a non-turbo diesel is more painful than watching a turtle race.

If a diesel a turbo, then it's going to be faster. More airflow = more power.

6. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

That looks like a great truck. not fast but will get the job done. I have a '94 with the same engine and like it. I tow often with mine. is it auto or 5 speed?

7. pattytastik

It's auto. I think I might stay away from it because the odometer either rolled over a couple of times, or It sat for a while. Both of those reasons would make me less interested in the truck

8. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

There isn't that much of a difference in acceleration between the trucks until you get on the highway about 65mph. You can tell by looking at the odometer if it has rolled. It peels off a little white strip on the tenths of mile on the odometer. Those are very good diesels and will last well over 300k before a rebuild most of the time. The injector pump needs replaced about every 60-70k miles now but its really simple. If you never had a diesel before this is the one to learn on if you work on your own stuff. It's basically as close to a gas engine as you can get.

9. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

mine has had 275,000 miles and still going strong. take a good look at the oil and if possible send in a sample for testing. if it comes back fine it is a nice truck. also check the radiator for any kind of oil sheen. if the engines good you will get yours monies worth from the truck.

10. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

having owned a fleet of thirty of those trucks,with every one easily attaining 750,000 km [close to 500,000 miles ] before the rest of the truck was too far gone ,and replacing a total of 3 fuel pumps fleetwide ,I have to say if your only concerns are the mileage ,then it will be your loss .The 7.3 powerstrokes I replaced them with had a hard time making 200,000 km without spending a small fortune on injectors etc on each and every one of them .