what do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 1MajorTom, Jan 16, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats all i got to say>I see this all the time farmers buy them to do there work and then then become tombstones on there farm the first time they die on them!!!!!!!!! Good luck!

First thing if it doesn't at least have a shiney bucket or blade that should tell you something.Most of them on Ebay has rust 3 inches thick or 6 inches of paint! At least pick one that is shiney(smiley)
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Thats not a International its a DROTT it looks similar to a International. Its pretty old.

It will do the land clearing and putting in a driveway but not sure about digging a house foundation.

It will take longer to develop the land with a track loader its doable but its no where as easy as using a excavator.
  4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would stay away from it. I get that you just want it to do a few jobs, but chances are it will be more trouble than what it's worth. Those sprockets look worn and sharp- they could start breaking off any time. Some parts most likely are frozen or locked up, or they may go out as soon as you start using them heavily. I imagine it would also be hard to get parts for. The only way I would even consider it, is if I ran it and it seemed pretty sound. Even then I'd be pretty leery of it. I would try to stay away from a machine with steering clutches.
  5. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it gas or Diesel? I didnt see it in the auction, but i've noticed if its not mentioned, 99% of the time its Gas. Stay away from it. Like Dozerman said, drive it first!!

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

if u get that thing stuck in the mud youll spend more to pull it out then what u paid for it
  7. Gravel Rat

I had a look at the pictures again that machine has the same International 6 cylinder engine that is in Dads DROTT crane. The motor is a pig to start you need the glow plugs and it doesn't take well to ether dad found out and his engine has a busted valve.

To add about trying to start those engines you need minimum 8D battery what dad uses is two 750amp batteries in series.
  8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

gow plugs and ether don't mix very well. It tends to stretch the head bolts (break valves) when the glow plugs heat the air in the cylinder which has ether in it. Always best to deactivate glowplug system prior to using ether.
  9. Gravel Rat

The glow plugs are push button activated in the cranes the gp system wasn't working so dad gave it a little sniff. Oh I also forgot those little International engines smoke very heavy.

A retired used truck parts salesman we have known for 25 years says they were known to smoke bad. He was told us a story years ago he sold a one of those engines to a nursury but before he sold the engine he warmed up the engine so the people didn't see how bad the engine smoked when cold.

Anyhow they wanted their money back after they got the engine mounted and running in what ever they were using it for. The smoke killed their plants in the green houses.
  10. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

they say glow plugs in the auction, do gassers run on glow plugs??? no!! atleast i dont think so?