1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what do you think

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jarroo's lawncare, Jan 5, 2006.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i started a mowing and landscaping service last year. i had great success with it too. this year i plan on growing to somewhere between 30-50 accounts. i also have a full time job so i will need help, so my dad decides he wants to start helping me. i was wanting to get some ideas about how to split the profits. i will not split anything 50/50, i am getting ready to buy a 60in exmark lazer z and i already have a 48 in. w/b, we also use my truck, trailer and i pay the insurance. i can tell you honestly i am not to happy about this but i do need help and good help is hard to find. the way i done things last year was that all the money that was made from mowing when into the bank and was not touched until the season was over and everything was paid for. so would it be a bad idea to take full control of the money and tell him it is not going anywhere until the season is over. i know you guys don't say much good about partnerships, but i was wanting to try to make him an employee more than a partner. i like things done a certain way and that is my way and i am picky when it comes to my work and don't really care much for sharing anything especially the business i started w/o the help of anyone.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you're getting near the point where you need to decide..."is it time to do this full-time???"
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

do you not have mortgage, car payments, insurance payments, maintenance..

put a percentage away for the company and pay yourself and your dad a percentage, .... monthly salary...
  4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

jarroo's lawncare,

If you want to make your dad an employee that is fine. However, once you have employees you now have to open the door to workman comp. and things of that nature. If you were already considering the added expenses of having an employee than I say go for it. As long as you are both happy with the situation. You are 100% right good help can be hard to find. It is your biz but you are also talking about your dad. Make sure everyone is happy.
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

You wont need wc on your dad unless u feel he will sue you if he gets hurt :gunsfirin . The way I see it, u have a couple options. #1 - pay him hourly or by commission of work completed. #2 - split the profits with him after all is paid.
    Either way I would sit down with him and have an intelligent conversation with him in order to have the both of u comfortable with the decision, after all he is your dad and Ill bet he has some ideas of fair split that may or may not go along with yours. Do u still live at home? could u have accumulated your equipment if u lived on your own? Dont treat him like just a worker, Ill bet he has sacrificed a lot for u as he raised u, dont let a business destroy that what ever u do. Not worth it:nono:
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed,sounds like you put all the money you made in the bank and your Dad paid for your living expenses am I correct?So he ..by doing that enabled you to start and build your business am I correct there also.?So I would not treat him like an employee and I would be willing to share what I had with him if he did things my way.He is your Dad.
    BUT I do not recommend you have your Dad work the biz with you at all.It's better to cut the work to what you can handle and work your way up to hire an employee that you can tell what to do.
  7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

It does sound like your dad supported you in chosing the field you went into.Not only that do you live with him?You said you banked all the money you made last year and want to do it again this year.If you cut you dad out you made need a place to live,if your going to have a partner why not your dad.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Never gonna work! find someone else besides your dad because he not gonna take orders from a kid he raised.
  9. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

jarroo says he has a full time job too so i can see how he could bank the money from mowing.

it can work if your realationship with dad is open and honest. set the ground rules from the begginning and stick to them.

good luck
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have the 50-60 accounts already, or do you just plan on having that many. There is a huge difference.