What do you think?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by howardsells2000, Feb 27, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I was laid off about 2 weeks ago. I have a little money in the bank and have been thinking of going into business for myself. I have been doing lots of reading and talking to local dealers in my area. I was planing on starting with my business with a 36" belt drive walk behind mower, trimmers and necessary equipment. I want mostly residential jobs but will take what ever I can get. I found a deal on a used 52" Ferris, dual hydr WB with only 150 hours for about $2500.00 dollars. I know I will still need a smaller mower to get inside gates. Should I start with something that big or stick with my fist thoughts to buy a 36". Your advise will be appreciated.

2. torontoyoman

torontoyoman LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Start with 36" for now and move to 52" later , You need OK trimmer like Tanka TBC230 $189.99 and Blower don't buy hand held buy backpack is much better like Redmax EBZ4800 with 680cfm i think i paid $299 or 329 , Check with www.russopower.com (very good price) .
    Do you have truck ??? If not VAN will be ok .
    I hope this help ......

3. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

i agree, start small, 36 wb belt is the way to go. i only do residential and use my 36 more than any other mower. of course my yds are less than 7,000sq ft, so i dont need anything big, more money in the small yds anyway

4. howardsells2000

Thanks for yor replys. I think your right and I should start with the 36". I will be buying a 5X8 or 5X10 utiliy trailer to carry my supplies in.

5. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

I would look at price and size of lots in you area.
    I started with a 48 in Wb and have a 21 for gated yards. i knownew wbehinds are still more expensive.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

match the mower to the size of lots you will be working on.....

7. howardsells2000

Anymore suggestions would be appreciated.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Try and go 6*12 on the trailer, then you can, i think, fit a ZTR and a WB on there. I learned the hard way 5ft is cutting it pretty close. just my .02

9. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the 36" as well. 52"'s us a lot of deck and you will need some pretty big properties to take full advantage of the size. With a 36" you can get into more places and around corners, etc faster, which in turn is more money for you in the long run. Plus, I think that if you look for a while you will find an even better deal on a used mower later on...especially right after the season ends.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

We use the 44" the most and than the 36" in 2nd place. The 44 is great for homes and smaller lots, The 48's never get used on smaller stuff so I think the 52" would be even less useful, but only you know your lots.

You called what you are doing , a business. so I take it that you want to make money. If that is truly the case than ditch the belt idea and get a hydro unit. Much more profitable!