What do you think.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FFjay, Mar 7, 2006.

1. FFjay

FFjay LawnSite Member

Hey fellers just wanted to pick your brains. I'm a career firefighter with plenty of time off looking to make a little extra scratch. I got you standard harry homeowners equipt. I was looking to start aerating and overseeding,Vacation lawn mowing, edging basic lawn stuff. Any tips would be great. I'm not looking to get rich just try to get ready for the baby on the way. Not sure if I really need insurance. I surely get it if I start making money. But what is a good way to get your name out. I like helping older folks and thought my services would be a help to them. Anyway any info is great info. Much THANKS!!!

2. weathervane

weathervane LawnSite Member
    from mass

put in add in the paper or do door hangers that is a great way to get started

3. Ocean Side

Ocean Side LawnSite Member

FF Jay
    I am a Full Time FF in Newhampshire, I have the same plan this summer. All the info that you will need is here on this site. Email me with any questions you may have. To start you will want a decent mower, a line trimmer, and a blower go from there, and good luck

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I think it is a great way to go. You can do well with de-thatching, aerating, overseeding, and edging. Mowing requires weekly visits, can you work your schedule to make mowing possible?

You gotta get insurance. Money well spent.

5. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I agree! Whether or not you do this a little or a lot, it's great to have piece of mind knowing that your butt is covered in case something unfortunate should happen. Accidents are just that, accidents! You never know.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

and you have a baby on the way, rock goes flying, hits a kid, looses an eye, you get sued.... no college fund for junior... you loose your house on and on....just not worth the risk man...

and welcome .....
    :)

7. FFjay

FFjay LawnSite Member

I do want to get insurance I am trying to build with little money out of pocket. You know a job or two and then(when I can prove to my wife) the business will take off make the investment. I'm going to paramedic school in April so I'm hopeing 10-20 jobs will be plenty for this season just enough to kinda get my name out. I'll be able to go wide open this time next year. I'm looking to not lose any money cause I really can't afford to. I don't know how much insurance is or what it covers yet. I'm guessing around $50 per month hopefully less I'm a dreamer. Also I'm not really trying to mow weekly just a few yards maybe. I don't know if I can make a weekly commitment. I'm looking for a niche in the edging, aeration, overseeding I don't have a large truck just a Jr. nissan maybe I can grow with the business and not make the grow into me. Hopefully NO accidents the first season till I can commit to the extra time. Any feedback is great. If you haven't killed yourself by now (long post) or still reading. You write it I'll read it just need info from the people that have been there. Thanks for your Time!!!

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ok, the grass keeps growing weither its conveinent for you or not.... so if you cant mow every week.... especially in the spring .... that means you really cant take on any mowing clients...... very few people want the grass mowed once in a while......and what about bad weather... its pouring for days ... how do you get around this.....

the aeriating, overseeding and such,,,, is usually an upsell from the lawn care provider , those who are dong the cutting...they use the cutting to get there foot in the door to sell the other services....

not trying to discourage you , but it seems a little unrealistic to think this will work for you if you cant make a weekly committment....

hope all goes well for you .....:)

9. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Another one....

It's like a disease with these fireman....lol

10. FFjay

FFjay LawnSite Member

It would be fireMEN. If you mean more than one.:confused: Anyway just looking for some help THANKS! :rolleyes: I think it will do well. If I need to make it evolve to weekly, I can like I said next season. This is a good way for FIREMAN:rolleyes: to make extra money on our schedules. Sorry to impose.