What do you think????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by smcunningham, Jan 9, 2007.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

what is installing a fence considered ,Landscaping?
    more specific a three rial split fence...better yet heres a picture

summer 06 167.jpg

2. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man I hate to say it but that kind of looks like a scene out of Brokeback Mountain. :)

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I had to install one this past summer and I have to say yours looks alot easier than the one we put in. We put in 2 rail fence about a 100yrds and at a 25 degree down angle toward the boat dock. You want to talk about a pain in the ass, dont know if I want to do fence work anymore at least not like that one. I looks nice but was a real pain.

4. smcunningham

jrslawn :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. smcunningham

lawnpro724 how much did you charge:confused:

6. smcunningham

how much do guys charge for installing these types of fences by the foot by section or bytotal job:confused:

7. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

We dont do a lot of fencing. Generally the job is priced based on materials plus estimated man hours to install. Too many fence companies in this area to make any real money on it. We mainly install fence if we have done all of the other landscaping aspects of the job already.

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I just charged a flat rate of $1,200 it took me and one of my guy's 9hr to put in. Customer paid for power auger, concrete, and fence. I was along a path from his house down to his boat dock. I gave him a deal on laber because I will be putting a large retaining wall and a water fall in later this year.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We're in the middle of replacing 1200-1300ft of 3 rail fence. The old stuff is cedar with wire fence run on the inside and a solid 15-20 years worth of trees and brush growing through it. Existing posts are spaced at 10ft and about 10ft10in, respectively. The spacing for the new posts with oak rails is about 10ft7in.

The results are rewarding but the tear down/tree removals/new spacings have taken it to a whole new level. You get a sinking feeling when your mark falls in the center of a 20 year old tree stump:cry:

The new rc 30 with auger and grapple bucket is earning its keep this week though.