What do you think

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ubirajara83, Mar 13, 2007.

1. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

Im getting my postcard in the mail soon and im thinking of paying my worker ten dollars a hour to go door to door on the weekend and talk to the people about getting their lawn cut. If they are not there he is just going to hang them. I told him for every account he gets i will also pay him 10% of the first month. Is this a good idea or am i paying too much? Another Q what r u guys paying your workers?

2. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

I don't pay my worker.....

I'm the worker

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If your worker can sell then how long will he need you? And I can't image having the worker out selling jobs for you unless it is your dad.

4. biggin69

biggin69 LawnSite Member

I agree 100%. What is keeping him with you if he can get the accounts himself? That is 75% of the business IMO.

5. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

What's wrong with having a salesman? If he's good, let him rock and roll and find another laborer or 2 or 3...

6. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

All the big guys got sales men.Thats why they can stand a 80% turn over rate.I think its a good idea but you need to make sure they call to make an apointment with you before any work gets started and hope your as nice and smart as your salesman.I wish I could find one for commercial work.I got a guy that wants to talk about it but you now that goes.

7. ubirajara83

Well first of he has no equipment to do it himself and by me paying hourly and comission gives him a better incentive to get customers. He doesnt even own a car.

8. ubirajara83

?????????//

9. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

sounds like a bad idea IMO.