What do you think

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HBLandscaping, Oct 24, 2007.

1. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking for a truck with a dump bed and Im having a hard time finding the right one. I have found a few but I have questions about them and hoping that you guys can give me your thoughts...

I need something on the small end of length do to snow plowing in small area's. As for bed space I average 6 yrds of mulch on most mulching jobs. I would like to have something with tool boxes on it already but will settle without. I do have a plow on my truck now that would or could be switched over to the new one if it doesnt already come with one. Im looking for something 96 and up and under15-16 thousand that is reliable. Money is tight this year do to the drought we had, the Grass cutting wasn't bringing in the $$$ as good this year.

Here are two trucks I looking into right now.
    (1) 2000 CHEVROLET, DUMP TRUCK, HD w/Meyers snowplow, 2 whl dr, auto, 117K, $8500

Whats bothering me is the 2 wheel drive (for snow plowing)

(2) Is a 1996 FORD F450, Dump Truck, 7.3L power stroke diesel, new auto trans, 81/2 ft myers snow plow, L Tack tool boxes, dump body, tarp, 156000 mi, $12000

Im wondering about the Milage and age on this one. I know diesels can take a beating but I've driven diesels manytimes over (Fire/Rescue Vehicles) but never owned one.

Any thoughts on these? Anything you see that you like or dont or would worry you?

Thanks guys

96 Ford.jpg

Attached Files:

2. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm rather partial to Ford Powerstrokes (I've owned 3, now own 2). The mileage on that truck wouldnt scare me at all. However, around here that truck would probably sell for 10K or so, depending on the condition, used dumps can be pretty beat up. All those toolboxes would come in handy, but they are going to eat up valuable pay load too. My 1989 FSuperDuty (450) has the 7.3 diesel and with a 12' stake side dump tips the scales at about 8400lbs, total GVWR is 15,000 lbs, just something to think about. The Chevy will be cheaper to work on engine wise, but won't get near the mileage the Powerstroke will, and i've run big block Ford's and powerstrokes, the diesel is cheaper to run day in day out if you put a lot of miles on the truck.

3. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with the chevy, I think you would be ok in 2wd. If it is gas though, I might pass it up, but if you are only hauling mulch you should be fine. The ford looks ok, the 7.3 are really nice engines.

4. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

You really have to look at the Ford, it has a bug deflector and rain guards, both great selling points!!!:hammerhead:

I own a F250 5.8 and F350 7.3 PSD. I prefer the PSD for long, heavy hauls, great motor.

840A0208.jpg

5. HBLandscaping

I will be using this truck to pull a trailer atleast 3-4 days a week with 3walkbehinds on it, So it would be racking up some miles with some weight on it. Being that this is going to be our primary work truck (other one to be used as a back-up work truck or extra if needed) I would like to have the tool box on it to carry alot of our everyday work equipment along with the everyday stuff that should be on the truck. Like I said I do a good amount of mulching and hauling jobs throughout the year, But I could get away with a truck that can only fit around 6 yrs of mulch in it. I average about 30-35 thousand mile on my work truck each year, but Im putting more then that this year and will most likely be going up each year do to business growth.

I am a Chevy guy, owned nothing but chevy's my whole life (85, 96, 02, Still have all 3) But have drove F350's and F450's at the firehouse for 13 yrs and I have always like those Powerstrokes.

The Chevy has a gas engine which isnt a hugh problem for me but that 2 wheel drive bothers me. I have only used 4x4 twice in 14 yrs, but when you need it ya need it.

6. HBLandscaping

Bump To The Top

7. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but I wouldn't buy either of those trucks, $12k for a dump that has 156k is way too much. Those engines are great but you don't know the history of that truck, it could run another 100k or it could stop the next day and those engines are costly to replace. A new 7.3 engine is about $7000-7500 to replace. I would keep looking I have seen dump trucks on ebay and local dealer for $12-16k that have half the mileage. Also try looking at a new gas 1 ton dump, I looked at a chevy with landscape dump and they were asking $24k plus I think they had 0% for 60 months. I wouldn't buy any truck with over 100k that had a plow on it because you can expect trans and front end problems.

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the miles on that 450 are nothing for a powerstroke, and if it has a new tranny then that shouldn't be a problem. The problem with buying an older truck that has a plow on it is the salt corrosion over the years. Get under it and take a very very long look. Look at the oil pan, the frame, the underside of the dump body. Make sure to check the linkage between the shifter and the transfer case. Also i guess it applies to trucks but when we look at a used diesel tractor we always pull the dip stick and smell it, make sure it doesn't smell like diesel fuel. also take it for a drive, make sure nothing squeals obviously.

i still think the miles for that price is a little high but it seems to be in really nice shape.

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

got that right, i towed a 2000lb trailer out and then picked up a 5000lb tractor in Ohio with a '97 F250 PSD. 8 hours out and 9 hours back in one day. The truck ran 17 hours straight for 900 miles at 80mph. Burned some fuel that day (55 gallons if i remember)...power isn't a problem with these older trucks

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The Ford isn't a short wheelbase truck its a 161 wheelbase so if you plan on plowing with it keep in mind its not going to turn very sharp. I have had 3 "F-Superduty" trucks with the 161wb.

As for the truck itself I would go with the Ford. The 3500HD Chevies had problems. The first problem is king pins Chevy underspec'ed the trucks as usual and put undersized king pins in the 3500HD. Second problem the rear springs they wear out fast plan on replacing them. Third problem if the truck has 6.5 power don't even touch it with a ten foot pole.

You have to make a choice a truck to plow with or a truck to haul with. Personally you should have a old beater for a plow truck or a 3/4 ton 4x4 its easy to get around. Have a 1.5 ton truck for a dump for strictly moving mulch etc. The truck is out of the road salt and has one purpose which is to move material around.

I don't know if you guys have different kind of snow but our wet heavy west coast snow that turns to ice soon as you drive on it makes dually trucks especially 2wd go no where. My F-Superduty trucks were horrible in snow I got stuck in my driveway. I could put 2 tons on the truck and it was still bad in the snow. The only way you can get around is chains I never bothered.