What do you think...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LedgedaleLawn, Apr 4, 2008.

1. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I went to price a lawn cutting job today, the lawn is 1800 sq feet, if that. It was for a lady that could potentially get us a good amount of work because of her job position. I priced it at $20, very easy lawn. Well I got the job but then she tells me that she had someone doing it for $50, 4 times a month. I think she was getting raped, but now I feel like a low baller. What is everyones take on it?

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on the area I guess. Around here that lawn would bring less than $20. I see guys doing 10,000 sq ft + for $20

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I think that your price is right. $50 for mowing 1800 sq ft is a lot. $20 is a much better price for that lawn, especially if it is easy.

4. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

Are you sure she did not mean $50 for the entire month?

5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I see you are from Pa where have no clue but in Pa. we would have had people cut that for 15.00 so you are in the ball park.. Least next year you know you can go to 22.00 per cut.

6. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Yes, I think you are a lowballer.

What amazes me is that there are still some out there that dont realize that it takes at least $20 to drive up to a 1800 sq ft lawn, much less cut it.

Sounds like the last guy at least had some clue as to what his costs were. And you fell for the "oh, I can get you more business" routine.

Just think... she is about to go tell all those people that you are cutting her lawn for $120 a month less than the last guy. Now what do you think the reason will be that they call you??? Heres a hint.... It wont be because of your quality work (which by the way she hasnt seen yet).

We as an industry will never have our standards raised if we continue to fail to try to raise them.

7. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, $50 each time, she used the word "rapeing"

Some will think I low balled this one, but she is the POA manager for a 4000 home community, I can only hope that she will tell all those people that I am cheaper, as far as my work goes, in 11 years of doing this I have never lost a customer over the quality of the job.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ill get you more business,..... BS...... your leaving money on the table ...and youve been had

9. Noreast Landscape

Noreast Landscape LawnSite Member

I don't understand how you can even show up and mow a lawn for 20 dollars. I dont mean any disrespect but with gas at over 3 dollars a gallon how are you going to make any money? Never fall for that i'll get you more work, Rarely that happens. So think before you price, it is prices like that that drive the price down and kills the bigger guys.
    I totally agree with MnD lawn. Again I don'tmean any disrespect, but the lowballers are killing this industry!!!!!

10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

It is all in the market area that you service. I have been doing this for 23 years and prices are lower now than in 85. Our market is flooded with lawn services and all are trying to fight for work even at a loss. There are almost 4000 registered lawn services in my county alone. Remember that is "registered" services plus all the fly by night guys. Then consider that my area is just one of 5 counties that surround Detriot. Now you are talking about 20,000 plus services in a 40 x 40 sq mile area. There are guys that have give me quotes on my house for $8. I have the benefit of reputation, size, and services to get places many can't. If not for that, I would have given up years ago.