1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by DeepGreenLawn, Sep 15, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

OK, so I measured off my in-laws house today. Did all the roof lines and eaves and gutters and such, basically the roof line of the house, and then worked up the cost.

I measured it off at 1680 linear ft. My buddy is going to do it tomorrow to make sure I did it right.

SO, with this many feet, LED lights, I figured $3/ft? That comes out to... $5040 for C9s. Cost I figured would be around $2000, just for the lights and clips and stuff, a little under? Does this sound about right? Then maybe another 2k for other costs such as labor, storage, ins, etc etc?

Of course when I took it to my mother-n-law she said "Are you serious?" "Who would pay that much especially around Christmas time?"

Anyways... I figured she would say that, and then she cut it all the way down to just the bottom half of the house only up front. I told her I thought that would look crappy and she said she thought it would look good.

I am going to get this program and do the house for her so she can see it...

So I got the response I knew I would get, she can be a little cheap, not to be mean, just how she is, but at least I got the reaction and I got the measuring down I think. Now I am going to hook up the computer program and check out how close the numbers match up.
  2. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

1680 feet is a huge amount of lights for a house! How big is this place! most houses have about 130-170 feet of frontage, the ridge would be the sameish, sides a little less. So maybe 500 feet.
  3. DeepGreenLawn

its pretty big, a lot of small roofs... the house itself... well... I don't know the sq ft.

It has 5 bedrooms, all large, each with a jack and jill bathroom, one has it's own, then on the main floor you have the master, bigger than my liviing room and dining room combined, and a guest bedroom, a long with the formal living room, office, formal dining room, dining room, gourmet kitchen, "keeping" room, laundry room, etc etc, 3 car garage... if I were to move into their basement, it would be larger than my whole house and my house is about 2400 sq ft.

I will try to get a picture of it soon... I just downloaded the holiday lights design program thing, free trial, so I will try to put the lights on it. That total is for all the roof lines and crest up front, and down both sides.

It's a big one, about $1 million I would say...

I have a big day planned tomorrow with the Lawn care business so I doubt I will be able to get much done... I also plan to measure my house and my bro-n-laws to see how they come out. They are both much smaller in size.

Is $3 about right? I have read other places up to $6.50 for the first year and then half that the years after. Is this the year after price?
  4. DeepGreenLawn

5. DeepGreenLawn

and a lot more roof lines...

I will get you a picture tomorrow, I will be in the neighborhood treating anyways...
  6. umpire

umpire LawnSite Member

For some reason that sounds like alot of cash for the job. Also it seems like you added to much on your cost. You can get a 1000 feet of wire for 220.00 and so 2 of those should cover the wire on the job and then you need the lights. Cords, timers it should only cost you around 1200.00
  7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

That is a tremendous amount of lights. Let us know how many were installed. My biggest roof jobs are generally no more than 5-600 lights on residentials. And those are on 6000 sq ft plus houses. If it is that big of a roof there is no way one man is doing that in a day.
  8. hotrod1965

No kidding! That's almost 2 spools of wire!

As far as price, you want to make $3 per foot year after year, plus the cost of the products.
  9. DeepGreenLawn

OK, so this is measured off with ALL the roof and gutter lines except for the back of the house. I think I may have gotten a little carried away. I take it most of you don't do the pitch of the roof and all that often? Just the roof lines and gutters and then stuff coming down such as garland and wreaths?

Guess a little overkill, when I get back to the office tonight I will get the numbers back out and see what it would be to do just the front parts.

Then we can look at it again...
  10. hotrod1965

I would just do the front of the house you pictured to make it look real nice. That looks like about 130 feet. then I would sell them about 10-15 sets of minis/5mm for the bushes.
    I would price this at around $1000. Probably take 3-4 hours to put up and an hour or so to take down. Light and material cost would be around 50%, maybe a touch less, so my two man crew would make $100 per hour. The second year I would charge $700, should take a little less time since everything is cut already. So my two man crew would make around $175 per hour.
    I would also add on if this property was more than 15 mins away from us.