What do you think?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Waterlogged, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

The first issue that I see is it's exposed on the turf. Lawnmower will turn it into pieces because it blends into the grass and the lawn jockey is too lazy to remove/ replace everytime. Plus the plastic looks thin/ cheap.

But I'm willing to try anything one time.........well, not ANYthing.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's interesting. Hopefully they don't use cheap plastic, if they expect it to endure.

4. S.O.Contracting

S.O.Contracting LawnSite Member

Our local Toro rep brought it up at a local trade show. My big concern is finding it after a season when the grasses have swallowed it up and you have to change out the batteries. They based it off the design of their wireless soil moisture sensors used in their golf course line.

5. Wet_Boots

Easiest way to keep it "findable" on a residential property is to place it on a sight-line of the house exterior.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe golf or large turf where it could be removed for mowing. Otherwise, forget it. :hammerhead:

7. Wet_Boots

If they use polycarbonate plastic for the body, it should stand up to field conditions, at least on lawns without vehicle traffic.

8. One soil sensor for the whole landscape? Some say that is heresy but couldn't be any worse than a mini-clik.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Someone is welcome to inform me I'm wrong, but that sensor looks to me like a regular common-shorting device, only it's wireless. If it were zone-applicable, I'd be looking at it, but if it's global, it's junk.

10. Wet_Boots

There isn't any manual for it online, so who knows. One rep mentioned that there was some high-frequency involved in the 'reading' of the moisture of a similar-looking device.